Monday, January 18, 2021

Thar she blows...

 

No, I didn't see any whales.  In fact, I have never seen whales in deep south Texas.  But, I did see 3 dolphins while out for a scooter ride today: one in the Laguna Madre from the causeway, and two others from the swing bridge going onto our island.

This is another weather stuff post.  A renter a couple doors down from us asked me if the wind always blows around here... "Well, calm is not typical, but it does tend to be a bit breezier in the winter," I told him.  He is from Iowa, doesn't think I have any understanding of the word "winter."   There is a reason that South Padre Island is one of the Top 10 wind surfing destinations.  ;-)

The wind is supposed to get up above 20mph by noon, so after breakfast and a walk, I took the Vespa out for a ride.  I didn't take a camera with me, so a description will have to suffice: riding across the causeway was a delight... not only was the speedometer on the Vespa accurate, but the view was gorgeous... the water of the Laguna Madre was calm and a gorgeous turquoise-blue.  I rode around the island a bit.  Not a lot of people on the main drag on this Monday holiday, but quite a few people walking and riding bicycles on Gulf Blvd.  Temperature already 70º, sunny, and calm.

By the time I came back across the causeway, the wind was starting to build.  Home, put the scoot away, and took a shower.  By the time I was dried off and dressed, Joan said we need to roll up our sun screens on the deck.  It is a precaution to keep them from getting beat up in the wind.  She decided to take down the US flag flying off a post on the deck; it was flapping pretty good.

It doesn't look like this will be a norther; daytime highs are going to be in the 70s all week... but a forecast for windy for the next few days.  Glad I got out on the Vespa when I did.  Oh, sure, it handles the wind fine, but it is less pleasant, and I'm riding for the fun of it.  Rufus probably won't be too excited about going for a walk - he doesn't mind walking into the wind, but he doesn't like it blowing up his hind end.  Who does?  That's rhetorical, no need to answer that question.  :-)



No comments: