Friday, January 8, 2021

Road Trip!

 

Well, a little one.  Maybe more of a roadette trip?  Joan wanted to make a Sam's Club and PetSmart run into Harlingen.  And I got to go along.  Well, more than go along, I was the chauffeur.

We had a discussion while in Sam's Club... seems that several outside vendors (as in: cell phone service sellers, women's make-up, etc) have taken to coming up and getting right in your face.  As well as blocking an aisle while stalking another customer.  I feel it is OK to lightly nudge them to let them know to get out of the way, and if that doesn't work, run them over with the huge Sam's shopping cart, and step on their head.  Joan feels that isn't polite.  I tried polite, by saying, "Back off," as they get close.  Apparently, that isn't considered polite by some.  Polite, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

I think the situation is easily solved: stay at least 6 feet away from me, or I will consider it an invasion of my personal space, and I will take appropriate action.  No, I won't define "appropriate action" here.

Other than that, Sam's was reasonably easy.  We used their app to scan our purchases as we put them in the cart.  When you're done, you press "Pay" on your phone and head for the door.  No waiting in line and schlepping things out of the car, scanning, then back in the cart.  At they door, they scan your phone, then scan a few random items in the cart to make sure you are being honest.  I thought that was pretty slick.

Then on to PetSmart, where I waited in the car.  Probably a good thing, because Joan was frustrated with being 6th in line and one one check-out open.  I would have been OK with picking up one of their phones and saying, "All available employees to the check-out counters NOW!"  Probably why I got to wait in the car.  Well, that and the probability of me browsing the shelter rescue cats to see if Rufus could use a little sister.

Final stop: Chick-fil-A.  The government needs to hire them to administer the vaccine distribution... 12,000 cars in line ahead of us, and we were through there in 10 minutes, our order perfect, a receipt in hand, and they were friendly and polite in the process.  My pleasure.  ;-)  It took longer at the bank where there were no cars in front of us and we just needed to deposit a check.  Another guy in a car over from us appeared to be asleep, or maybe dead... no idea how long he had been waiting.  Obviously, he didn't have a box of 30 chicken nuggets to keep up his strength.


No comments: