Monday, March 8, 2021

About that variety...

 

We ordered me some new riding jeans this morning.  I've been looking at different ones for a while, and a regular participant on the Vespa forum got taken off the road by an Uber driver who didn't look before they went to make a U-turn.  He is banged up, the Vespa is likely totaled, but the photo he posted of his swollen knee made my ass pucker.  Yeah, it's time for some new riding jeans with armor on the knees and hips.  I figure I need to protect that $100,000+ hip of mine.

We placed the order on-line with a place called motorcyclegear.com.  First time we've ordered from them.  I say "we," because I was sitting next to Joan while she did the order (she has the credit card numbers memorized).

Then, I took off for a ride.  The wind built as I rode, eventually gusting over 25mph.  Only a few photos...


 Artsy above, photo realistic below...


Lots of brown along the roads...


Brown is not typical here in the Tropical Tip, but that gawd-awful cold spell we had last month did in a lot of our plantlife.

While getting mail on my way home, I got a message to call Joan - "Not an emergency, just call before you come home."  Seems that immediately after placing the order with motorcyclegear.com, someone called our credit card company to change the e-mail and password on the account.  Their fraud department called Joan and she verified that we did NOT make that call.  Account closed, card cancelled.  They we get a new card out to us ASAP.

To add to the fun of that, when I got home and checked my e-mail, I had over 200 spam e-mails... that came pouring in right after I got a confirmation e-mail from motorcyclegear.com.  Coincidence?  We called motorcyclegear.com, but "all lines are busy and we left a message on their voice-mail.  I got on their site and had a chat session with Will... who immediately typed that they don't ever see any of our credit card info, because they use PayPal as their credit card processor.  When I asked if they also use PayPal for their e-mail server... "No, but we'll check into our server right away to see if there has been any irregularities there."

So, I'm not making any accusations, but the timing sure looks bad for them.  In the meantime, we will wait for the new cards and update any recurring bills.  And I started sorting through the variety of junk e-mails... pretty sure that's going to go on for quite a while.  So, that's fun.

Those better be good riding jeans.

-------

I am rarely at a loss for words.

This evening, I was walking with Rufus.  A lady with a dog was coming up the street from the other direction.  I don't know what breed the dog was, but it was scrawny with short fur sticking out here and there like a bad haircut.  I'm guessing it was a cross between a rat terrier and a shih tzu... I would call it a rat-shit.  As they passed, the lady said, "What a beautiful cat!"

I didn't know what to say.  After a moment of stammering, I said, "He really likes dogs."  What was I going to say: "Did someone take a weed whacker to that poor dog?"  No, that wouldn't be nice.  "Hey, your dog may not be much to look at, but he sure makes fun snorty noises."  Nope, that wouldn't be nice, either. 

Based on what I said, she let her dog move towards Rufus.  The dog was a bit taller, but Rufus outweighed him by a pound or six.  They got nose to nose, the dog went to sniff Rufus's butt... Rufus gave him an "Oh, no - you don't know me that well!" look, and the dog retreated.

Hey, not every encounter is a love-fest.  ;-)


No comments: