Thursday, March 18, 2021

Lean into it...

 

Riding through the twisties on the new e-scoot?  Not hardly.

Yesterday morning, when I went out for my bike ride, it was 70º, sunny, and a light southeast breeze.  This morning, it was 62º... 8 degrees shouldn't make that much difference, right?  Wind is out of the north at 23mph, gusting higher.  Sometimes, much higher.  And, it is a cold wind.  Yesterday, it was a pair of short, t-shirt, and a bike helmet.  Today, I added a fleece pullover and swapped out a warm stocking cap for the bike helmet.  And, still got chilled.

Looking up my nose from the phone on my handlebars.  I did my usual miles, but that last mile had my fingertips burning (yes, I was wearing gloves).  That wind has a real bite to it.  First time I remember having to "lean into" the crosswind while on my bicycle.  With the road layout here, I would get a reprieve from pedaling into that north wind when I would turn south.  Then, take it on the side when going east or west.

Joan had an icy fruit smoothie waiting for me when I got home... I may need another hot chocolate, after.  ;-)

"Jim, you are becoming a wimp with the cold," you say?  Can't argue with that.

-------

Butt prints...

The wind died down and it got pleasantly cool this afternoon.  Enough so that I took the e-scoot to check mail, wearing shorts and a sweatshirt.  Yes, I remembered my mask before I left the house.  When I got back I installed the bike seat Joan ordered.

It was one of those discussions: "Well, if it isn't good on my bike, maybe you'll like it..."  We won't know if it is good on our e-bikes because those seats are on a rail (allows adjustment forward and back), and this new seat is designed to fit on a typical bike seat post.  I happen to have a bike seat post on the e-scoot.

This seat doesn't have the forward protrusion on it... or the more medical term: nad poker...


I didn't realize the non-nad-poker seat doesn't hold you as securely as a more typical bike seat.  Elevation (forward/rearward tilt) matters.  I did a short test run up and down the street... it will probably be OK once I get over the initial "this doesn't feel quite right" impression.

--------

What the hell was that sound??

Rufus got his first exposure to another cat while we were out walking this evening... no one around that cat, it kinda looked like it wasn't quite right: eyes a bit too close together.  It started walking towards us slowly... and Ruf turned into the Hulk - he puffed up his shoulders and chest and let out an ugly growl!  A spitty, guttural growl!  I tried to scoop him up and he brushed me off with: “Leave me alone puny human - this cat is a danger to us!  I must slay it!”

Not the sweet, easy-going Rufus that plays nice with all the dogs.  I steered him away and got him to the other side of the street.  Big tail, ready to spring.  "Easy, big fella."

We went home and he was all sweet again.  So, that was fun.

I guess that means we won't bring home a little sister for him.  (No, that wasn't a plan.)



No comments: