Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Git yer motor runnin'...

 

If you said, "Born To Be Wild by Steppenwolf, 1968," you get 25 bonus points.  If you said, "Used in the movie Easy Rider, 1969," you get an additional 50 bonus points.

If you asked, "Does that little e-scooter of yours have a real motor?" you get no bonus points.  Yes, it has an electric motor.  I took the e-scoot out today, after my bicycle ride, just to see how far it would go before the "low" light came on.  It doesn't have an odometer; it doesn't have a speedometer.  It doesn't have any kind of accessory on the handlebars.  It barely has a brake... well, to be fair, I did adjust the brake this morning, so it does have a brake.  Sorta.  Sure doesn't stop as fast as the disc brakes (front and rear) on our e-bikes.

But, the e-scooter is a bit of a hoot.  I don't think I look like a circus bear on a bicycle on it, but you be the judge...


The documentation says it has an 8 mile range.  People on-line were saying they get between 7 and 12 miles with it.  Without an odometer, it is hard to know, but I do have "a route" that I often ride on my bicycle, so I am estimating I got between 10 and 12 miles (over two days) on this first charge.  I did pull out my phone and opened the Waze app to see what 10 mph feels like, so I can try to stay at the speed limit here and at Hart Ranch (where they actually patrol and will fine you for going over 10 mph; here, all the rules are off).  10 mph is about half throttle.  Of course, on an unoccupied bit of road here, I "opened it up" to see what she'll do... it topped out at 17mph.  The documentation says 18 mph, but I would imagine that is with an 80 pound girl riding it.  I am a bit more than 80 pounds, so 17 doesn't seem out of line.

The "motor" is about the size of my fist; 500 watts.  36 volts, with 3 small lead acid batteries.  Some people have added another battery, making it a 48 volt system.  Some have swapped out the lead acid batteries for lithium ion (probably costs more than the scoot).

No suspension other than springs in the seat.  The tires are 16", but the handlebars and seat are sized and positioned for an adult.  No handlebar height adjustment, but plenty on the seat.

So, after messing with it for a couple days, it is pretty much what I expected.  8 miles of range doesn't sound like much, but it will give me a half dozen trips to our mail box and garbage compactor before it needs to be recharged.  Plus, riding it is fun... in a goofy sorta way.


No comments: