Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Eeeeee...

 

If you said, "That's how Izzy meowed when you first got her," you get 500 bonus points as an early reader of this blog.  I am able to smile now, thinking about how sweet that little furry girl was.  Reminiscing.

If you said, "Reminiscing - that was a song by Little River Band, released in 1978," you get 100 bonus points.

"Eeeeee" is my reference to electric things.  I added an e-scooter to go along with my e-bike; not it place of - the e-scooter will be used to check mail, take garbage, and any other errand running on this small island.  It isn't in place of the e-bike.  The range on the e-scooter is supposed to be between 8 and 10 miles, depending, of course, on weight of rider, road surface, terrain (don't have to worry much about that with living in Flatistan), and how much you twist the throttle.

After putting it together...


Moved off the deck this morning and ready to roll...



Not much to it; it has a throttle on the right grip and a rear brake on the left.  Twist the throttle and you go, let off the throttle and pull the brake to stop.  It has 3 lead acid batteries under the footboard.  The footboard has that oval shaped logo on it that is made of non-skid material.  The seat is a typical bicycle seat, and there's a basket/rack on the rear.

I ran into my buddy Mike who was out on his bicycle; we rode together for a while, getting a chance to visit (haven't seen him in a while).  I didn't have any way of attaching my phone to the bike, so I couldn't see how fast I was going... it is supposed to do about 18mph top speed; more than enough for our 10 or 15mph speed limits on this island.

Rufus got some leash time this morning...


The e-scooter was parked by the steps... he wasn't real sure what that thing was all about... some concern about it being a cat killing machine, but I assured him it wasn't.  No, I didn't put him in that rear basket to take him for a ride.  ;-)

--------

Scootin' to Brownsville...

The new e-scooter?  With an 8-10 mile range and a top speed of 18mph on "the most dangerous road in Texas," with a 75mph speed limit??  Um, no.  Vespa.  Honda has come out with a motorcycle that I wanted to see: the new Rebel 1100 DCT.  There are plenty of Youtube videos and reviews, but I wanted to see one in person...


Very cool bike.  It is surprisingly compact, reasonably light, and easy for an old guy to toss a leg over (low seat height).  The DCT is Dual Clutch Transmission; essentially, and automatic transmission for a motorcycle.  Honda has been putting that on other models for almost a decade, so it isn't anything new... just new on what I'd call a cruiser type bike.  It feels weird when you reach for the handlebars and there is nothing in front of that left grip... no clutch lever.  That deep burgundy color or black - and this dealer has both.

No, I'm not in any hot pursuit of another bike; still thoroughly enjoying my Vespa.  This was more about somewhere to ride and seeing one of these in the flesh... um, metal.  Good looking bike!


No comments: