Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Slider...

 

Not talking about a small version of a regular hamburger.  This particular slider is the heavy glass door that opens to our deck.  It has been rolling hard lately, and when Joan asked me to help her clean under the door last week, it stopped rolling completely.  A giant pain in the ass to try to raise up that heavy door to get it open.

I called our friend Pete, the guy who built our house, to ask if he could fix it or if I should contact a door company.  He said, "I'm out of town right now, but I'll be back on Monday.  I have rollers for that door, so I will get you taken care of."  We are fortunate that Pete has been there when we've needed any work done on the house that is beyond our pay grade... looking at a Youtube video for how to fix this door, I did not want to take on the task.

Pete came out this morning just after 8:00, and before 9:00, he had everything disassembled, rollers replaced, everything put back together, and the door and the large glass panel next to it all back in place.  You can now slide the door with a very gentle push... I think it may move easier now than when it was new.

You tend to take functional things like doors for granted until they don't work like they're supposed to.

Pete said, "I'm glad you called me - that door company is out of business, and I may be the only one around who has parts for it."

I jokingly asked, "What do we do in another 17 years if it needs to be fixed again?"

He said, "It will be a bluetooth, wife-capable door replacement door by then."  ;-)

Nice to get that done early today - somebody wants Chick-fil-A for lunch, so a road trip to Brownsville may be in the cards.  I'm good with that plan.


No comments: