Monday, January 3, 2022

BFR...

 

My alternative title was: "Something died in here..." but, that sounds a bit too ominous.

Remember the "little Johnny jokes"?  Yes, he was the foul-mouthed, filthy-minded kid who was the basis of all those jokes.  Never substantiated, but many said the kid was based on me.  I still deny that, as Jimmy and Johnny don't sound anything alike.

This joke: The teacher asks the kids to think of a word that starts with each letter of the alphabet.  She cringes each time Johnny raises his hand, and calls on other kids: "A is for apple, teacher." "B is for ball, teacher," who is sure she dodged a bullet with that one by not calling on little Johnny.  They finally get to "R" and little Johnny is the only one with his hand raised.  The teacher is going through anything vulgar that starts with "R", can't come up with anything, and finally calls on little Johnny.

Little Johnny says, "Rat."

The teacher breaths a sigh of relief and says, "Very good, Johnny."

Then, little Johnny adds, "A big f*ckin' rat - a beady-eyed bastard."

Yes, I have many more that I won't relate here.

Coming back from my bicycle ride, I said to Joan, "I think something got into our underneath storage, and either shit or died in there.  I looked around, but didn't see anything obvious."

She went to work on it, removing everything from underneath, putting it all out on the dock...

We have a dock box under there that hasn't been used for anything but storage in years.  I was working on bicycle maintenance (they were moved out onto the dock, so it seemed like a good opportunity) when she stepped out and said, "I found the culprit, but I'm not going to be able to move it."

That's my cue for: "You need to kill that bug or scrape off a dead critter."  That's for those of you who think a trophy husband doesn't have any useful skills.

Yeah, something died in that dock box.  There is a reason we put Decon and other lethal stuff in that storage area... and this critter probably had a chunk of that for lunch and died before it could get out to look for water.  Odds are pretty good it was little Johnny's rat.  May have been a raccoon or a water buffalo.  It was stinkin' to high heaven, which attracted other little bug things, and... well, I've probably put enough dots in there that you can connect them.

Joan has been wanting to "clear out" stuff we don't use in that storage area.  This was a definite stimulus.  A real strong-smellin' stimulus.

This one's on me.  I opened the door a day or two ago, to get my e-scooter out and forgot to close the door.  That must have looked like an open invitation to whatever got in.  No, I won't do that again.



2 comments:

Bob said...

Cap - I see our visit on "Saving vs Hoarding" a day or two ago got Little Jimmy to put a dead animal in the storage area to give us a follow up topic. A year ago we sold our former first home which had become a 4000 sf storage facility with a 2500 garage. We had down sized five years earlier to a small home here in Boulder City and there was no way to finish moving. Sold three trucks, a camping trailer, a large two horse trailer, my ATV, and gave the buyer of our home lots of tools, my small generator, tons of construction equipment/materials, the vacant 4 acre lot I had bought "just in case", and more stuff. With that home with 8 acres gone, I went on to sell our 10 acre farm on Sherman Island in the California Delta, and now I need to get rid of the 12 by 50 storage garage full of stuff and empty out the 24' race car trailer stacked to the ceiling with more stuff yet. Maybe The Blonde want to start a second career as a counselor to hoarders and start with me. See ya. Bob in Nevada

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Pretty sure Joan wouldn't be keen on me finding her a job - she has her hands full with taking care of Rufus and his Dad. I understand the downsizing thing: we went from 4,800 square feet with a full basement to this current "vacation home" (we built this house when we were still working - never planned on it being the one and only). Of course, after cruising on Wild Blue (or even being out in the motorhome), this place seems downright spacious. Perspective. Emptying out the house up north after being in it for 20 years was quite a task... we already had everything we needed in this smaller, so there wasn't room to keep a bunch of stuff. Instead of missing what we eliminated, it felt rather "freeing." Speaking of which, the Thrift Shop on the island that helps fund the local animal shelter was delighted with the load of stuff I took there today. It helps feed the kitties.