Tuesday, January 25, 2022

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...

 

If you said, "A 1966 Italian 'spaghetti Western' film directed by Sergio Leone and starring Clint Eastwood," you get 40 bonus points.  The title refers to the three main characters in the film played by Clint Eastwood (the good), Lee Van Cleef (the bad) and Eli Wallach (the ugly).  If you can whistle the theme song to that movie, you get 3 more bonus points.

This post is about: the good - I got out on the Vespa today; the bad - the weather weasels lied again; and the ugly - I used a GoPro.  Now I remember why I haven't used the GoPro since getting the Insta360 cameras: the GoPro sucks ass.

"Why would you say that, Jim (referring to the GoPro?"  Thanks for asking; I do appreciate your curiosity.  The GoPro has been unreliable since I bought it.  I upgraded the operating system in it, thinking it might help it.  It didn't.  This PoC (Piece of Crap) GoPro is what made me buy that first Insta360, a One R.  It was so good, I bought another Insta360, a One X2.  Both of those cameras just work.  Plus, you can decide the view after you shoot, instead of the fixed view of the GoPro (yes, I knew that about it before I bought it).  The Insta360 cameras are a delight to use compared to the GoPro.

"Well then, why did you use the GoPro today?"  Again, thanks for asking.  It takes time to edit the Insta360 video, because you are able to look (literally) every direction... so, you have to "look around" to decide which view you want.  Today, the GoPro lost connection with my phone (I use the phone as a remote to operate the camera) 6 times.  No, there is nothing wrong with my phone - it works fine will all my other apps.  Yes, I did download the latest update for the GoPro app before I left the house.  And, the GoPro locked up twice... you have to pull the battery out of it and start it again to be able to use it.  Which means pulling over on the scoot and getting off because you need both hands to open up the GoPro.  Oh, and all this was in the first 30 minutes of my outing.

On one of those pull-overs, I tested the camera by taking a selfie photo (instead of video)...



 I did shoot some video, but it is a yawn compared to the 360 video I usually shoot.  I may splice together the bits of video that the camera allowed and post it here later.

The "Bad": the weather weasels were predicting "sunny, a high of 74º"... it didn't happen.  As you can see from the photos above, it was a pretty solid overcast.  Oh, we did have a few minutes of sun, but the temperature climbed up to 61º and stopped there.  Wind out of the north at 14 mph.  So, yeah, it was cool.

The "Good": I was happy to get out on the scoot.  The weather has been chilly, windy, and drizzly the last few days.  The Vespa and I were in need of some time together.  I put a fleece vest under my recently acquired riding suit, and was perfectly comfortable.

While riding on the island, there were quite a few people walking and riding bicycles on Gulf Blvd; some were definitely headed for the beach.  I feel for those people if this is "their week" that they get to be here - not much in the way of our typical tropical weather this week.  More drizzly forecast for tomorrow through Friday.  It beats shoveling snow, but that north wind is chilly... no fun to be out on the beach in that.

Today was my day to get in some riding.  I spoke with my guy at Winnebago this morning, and he assures me our motorhome will be done "Wednesday or Thursday"... they will keep it inside until we pick it up on Monday the 31st.  We have our route, stuff gathered for the car, and will be rolling north soon.

--------

A relatively quick edit, and here's the video...


 

No comments: