Tuesday, January 18, 2022

The Wolf Full Moon...

 

That's the name of this month's full moon - based on the fact that wolves are the most active this time of year.  Clear and a million (pilot saying) last night - this was the view from just outside our front door...


 So, if you heard any howling last night... yep.  It is also called the Center Moon in some Native American cultures, as this generally marks "the mid-point of the cold season."  Don't trust that - Mother Nature has been a terror this past year, and looks to be doing more of the same this year.  Last year in February, Texas experienced the coldest month on record.  The southeast had a dozen tornadoes two nights ago.  Don't turn your back on her.

It was a beautiful clear night - just right for getting this photo.

--------

Reality bites...

The nearest Honda motorcycle dealer (in Brownsville) has a couple motorcycles I wanted to check out.  A nice outing.  When we got there, I excited to "test sit" on an NC750X... I've read a lot about it - a lot to like.  One concern: the seat height.  It's about an inch or so more than my inseam.  And then I got on the bike.  Sorta.  Oh, I could touch with the balls of my feet, but it was a struggle to get a leg over the seat.  A reality slap upside the head.

Next to look at a cruiser model; nice low seat height.  Easy to toss a leg over.  Comfortable.  Now to put my feet up on the footpegs... grunt... grunt.  Yeah, I got 'em there.  I have mentioned how I can "toss a leg" over since the hip replacement... but this is using muscles and making moves that I haven't done in a long time.  Then, whacked my ankle on a peg while putting my feet down.

Damn, maybe this old dog isn't up to new tricks?  Maybe I need to stretch more?

The tall one...


A bevy of cruisers...


The one I like...


I took a photo of Joan on this one...

Knees bent with her feet flat on the floor.  Although, her legs are longer than mine.  I think I heard a gasp when the owner gave me the out-the-door price.  Apparently, Honda has added "a surcharge" this year.  Not an insignificant amount when it is totaled up.

I didn't go home with a new bike.


No comments: