Friday, March 11, 2022

Back to back...

 

If you said, "I think you're doing it wrong," you get 25 bonus points for your sense of humor.

We had some running to do today, including lunch out (Joan wanted Blaze Pizza) and necessity shopping (not the same as shopping for fun stuff).  When we got home mid-afternoon, Joan said, "I think I'll spend some time reading outside if you want to take your bike out."

"Um... OK."  I'm always up for a ride.  I geared up and took off - no destination, no schedule.  I rode out to Verrado, and spent some time riding through the neighborhoods to get a feel for slow speed handling on the bike.  Each time out, it is a new discovery.  Plus, Verrado has actual grass in the yards there, and my eyeballs like to see some greenery.

I had swapped out the Corbin seat for the OEM seat - they really are quite different: the OEM seat sits lower and is softer (I think it has gel-foam in it).  By comparison, the Corbin is quite stiff (you have to break it in, like a saddle) and made with much higher-end materials.  I enjoyed the cushy seat today.  And, no achy spots from yesterday's longer ride.

When I got back to the motorhome and had my gear put away, Joan said, "You should take the Vespa for a ride now, so you can get a good back-to-back comparison between the two bikes... in case you decide you want to sell the Vespa."  I believe she is planting that seed.

Still, it was a good idea, so I geared up once again and got the Vespa out.  Just a short 5 mile or so ride, with the chance to get it to 55 mph on one stretch.  They are SO different, it is hard to make a comparison... but... I told her, "It is like comparing a Miata to a Cadillac."  Well, to be fair, the Vespa isn't like a Miata, and the CTX certainly isn't like a Cadillac... but, did I mention: so different.  It feels like you are sitting on the Vespa, and more in the Honda.  The Vespa is short and lightweight; the CTX is long and heavy (by comparison).  The Vespa feels peppy; the Honda feels leisurely (when in Drive mode) and more powerful (when in Sport mode).  I have the Vespa set up just the way I like it: windshield, seat, phone and camera mounts, USB connection to power the phone, storage under the seat as well as in the top case.  The Vespa is the epitome of all that is good about a scooter... and the CTX is a capable, low-slung motorcycle.

If I had to choose one right now, it would probably be the Honda... but I really want to live with it a bit more before making any rash decisions.

In a sea of motorcycles, the CTX isn't trying to be like any others - I like the look, but I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea (and I don't like tea - but, I digress).  And the Vespa... it is a classic design; people who don't know anything about motorcycles or scooters recognize that "that is a Vespa!"  It is part machine, and part icon; a good example of Italian design.


How do you choose when they are so different?


No comments: