Thursday, March 31, 2022

The morning after...

 

No, this isn't about a hangover - I haven't had an adult beverage in months.  No, it isn't some diet, just not feeling it.  This is about the day after playing a cajon all afternoon.  I was sore when I went to bed last night... yes, the assular (medical term) muscles, but also my hands, shoulders, and neck.  I don't get that after time on the drums.

Some ibuprofen and I am good as new this morning.  Even after getting out on my bicycle.  I am thinking a ride on the motorcycle/scooter needs to be on the agenda for today.

But, back to the cajon session... Mark said he enjoyed having a good rhythm to play to.  I think back to when I was a kid, totally immersed in rock 'n roll.  I apparently made my Mother crazy with "that incessant pounding"... seems that I "drummed" all the time with my hands.  I attribute that to helping develop a good sense of rhythm.  Plus, I couldn't help it - I had the music in me.  ;-)  The fact that it annoyed any adults around me was just a bonus.

Damn kids and their rock 'n roll music!

--------

We got out on the scoots this afternoon.  Yes, I am calling the CTX "a scoot," just like I called all the Harleys and Goldwings we had over the years.  And then when we made that switch to actual scooters 9 years ago, it was easy to decide what to call them.  Oh, I will still call the CTX a motorcycle, too; just explaining the terminology.

As usual, no destination, just out for some fun riding.  The temperature was pushing into the 80s, clear sunny skies - any warmer than this and I think we'd have to forego the mesh jackets.  It is no joke that it gets too hot to ride here during the summer months.

Today, I wanted to shoot some video of the CTX - Joan agreed to have her scoot be "the camera platform"... the 360 camera was mounted on her bike, and I ran it from my bike.  First I've been able to see how the CTX looks going down the road; good-looking bike, if I do say so myself.  Then part way into the ride, we stopped and I put the camera on my bike.

We rode out by PIR (Phoenix International Raceway) or whatever it is called these days.  Back through the Estrella Mountain area; then west to see what is developing out that way; then north through Verrado; east to the Pebble Creek area, and then... a couple, um, "comparisons."  We ran the bikes with the CTX in Drive mode (economy) - Joan's Xmax pulled away from it until we passed 50mph.  Then one more run from a stop with the CTX is Sport mode... yep, the CTX pulled ahead after about 10 feet and it was all CTX from there.  Don't get me wrong: considering horsepower to weight, it turns out just like you'd expect: the CTX is 25% heavier, but has more than 50% more horsepower.  But the Xmax is a good strong bike.

Even though this is all for fun, I was a bit surprised when the CTX pulled the front tire off the ground when taking off in Sport mode.

I'll be working on a video, but in the meantime, here's a few stills taken from the video...




The opportunity to see how the CTX looks from a perspective the rider doesn't get...




Riding through Verrado...



Ready to run 'em...

Topping off the tank on the CTX: 72 miles per gallon.


No comments: