Friday, March 4, 2022

Let it go already...

 

The owner of the dealership I spoke about in yesterday's post, sent me an e-mail, asking for me to call him: "We should talk."  I have no desire to talk with someone who operates a business in that manner.  I sent him and e-mail stating just that.  And that resulted in an e-mail conversation that went on much of the evening.  Must have been a slow day for him; I'm retired, I can entertain myself with this.

His main point was: he takes great pride in his dealerships (3 or 4 in Arizona), and wants to "work things out" when there is any kind of a problem.  My main point was: they have already shown their intent to do the "high ball the price," then see if the potential customer is stupid enough to accept it... and if they aren't, see what they will offer.

Their business is built on selling to young guys who are fixated on a particular bike or SxS, and after sticking it to them with the high price, they inflate the financing, to get the buyer to a desired monthly payment.

That's not how I care to do business.  I am not fixate, young, nor stupid.  I also asked to see the Arizona statute regarding their $399 "doc fee."  He did not respond to that, but was proud to say that his fees are lower than what most of his competition charges.  I said, "If you are comparing yourself to RideNow for business practices and fees, you have set your standards far too low."

I wasn't planning on talking about this on the blog, but the guy wouldn't let it rest.  I finally wrote that I was done with the discussion... and he, of course, sent me one more e-mail to give me his "best wishes."

I would have made a fair (both ways) offer on the bike had they not started the negotiations off with this sleazy way of doing business.  It is too bad that young buyers get sucked into it because they "have to have that bike."  It means that dealers like this can keep doing these business practices, because there are always more young people coming up.  Or, as P.T. Barnum said: "There's a sucker born every minute."

--------

We got together with Mark and Cindy today.  Mark is my music partner, Cindy is Joan's quilting buddy, but above all that, we're long time friends.  We visited for a while, then went out to lunch (and more visiting), then back to their house, where Mark and I got in some music time.  No song list, no agenda, just making some music.  It has been two years since Mark and I have been able to play together in person.  And just like over the 5 decades before, we can get together after a time apart, and are able to start right back up again like no time has passed.  Having played together in our younger years, we know each other's styles.

I think we all had a good time - I know I did.  Towards the end of our playing time, Mark showed me a new song he has written.  Like other stuff we've written, he put both of our names on it, but this is all Mark... and a really good song.  We need to rehearse it some more (we did play it for Joan and Cindy), then work on recording it.  It is fun to play: a good punchy rhythm and clever lyrics.  He mentioned that it would be a good one for another video and I agree.  Look for it, but it will be a while.

Once back home, we gave Rufus some attention, then headed to Steph and Dan's house.  Steph had some good news to share with us regarding her contract with the school district for next year - some definite changes and new challenges.

Then, back home by 9:00.  It was a full day.  Rufus is getting snuggle time with his Momma - this is as long as he's been alone in a very long time.


No comments: