Saturday, March 19, 2022

Floor it...

 

"Are you talking about racing again, Jim?" you ask.  Thanks for asking, but no.

 We went out for breakfast with Steph and Dan this morning - same restaurant we went to last week for Steph's birthday; Joan's choice today.  It was a nice way to start the day and a pleasant visit.

Regarding the title of this post: the splined adapters came in today's mail - I rode over to Steph's to pick them up.  Back to our RV site and I went to work.  It was a pretty easy install, except for having to be out in the Arizona sun for the right side of the bike (I pulled the bike onto our cement patio so I wouldn't have to kneel in the gravel to do the work).  It all came apart and went together with no fuss.

For the last nine years, we have been riding scooters (almost all modern scooters have floorboards); prior to that, it was decades of full dress bikes, also with floorboards.  I was thinking this CTX would be even more comfortable with floorboards, plus the adjustability of the placement of those would have my feet back just a bit closer to my body.  Win/win.

How it looks with the floorboard installed...


 And what it looked like with the original peg...


Yeah, that's a lot more real estate for your foot to move around now.  I took it for a test ride - the angle I put them was a guess, but it turned out to be very comfortable.  A longer ride is in order.  With the splined adapter, you can adjust the angle of the floorboards to fit them to your comfort.  In fact, the outside of the box that the floorboards came in states: "Ribbed For Your Comfort" (a ribbed rubber footbed)... I considered that for a title to this post, but I had concerns about what that would bring in for anyone doing a search for that.

;-)

They do stick out about an inch and a half more than the pegs.  I am hoping it won't be an issue for the floorboards dragging when we are doing spirited riding in the curves, but they are designed to fold up (as were the original pegs).  I don't ride as hard as I used to... mostly because I don't heal as fast as I used to.  If it is an issue, I can move the mounting position to fit them higher, but this is very comfortable.


No comments: