Sunday, March 20, 2022

Doing the wave...

 

No, we did not go to a spring training game (yes, they are back on).  We went over to Steph and Dan's, where they made breakfast burritos on their outdoor griddle again.  Tasty!  Plus, we had "cat entertainent" with their 3 cats.

Back home, Joan was ready up for laundry; not much I can do after helping carry stuff, so I went out on the CTX for a while.  A windy day today, 18 out of the southwest, with higher gusts.  I experienced a couple of those gusts that moved me and the bike around; I would guess pushing 30 mph.

There were a lot of other motorcyclists out today.  I didn't keep track of how many I saw, but after getting waves from the first 4 or 5 (yes, I always wave back, if I didn't initiate it), I started paying attention to the waves.  This was a first: every single motorcyclist waved.  I guess I don't expect that when riding in the big city, but I was far enough out on the western edge of the Valley to not be in city environs.  I would guess I passed 30 to 40 other bikes going the opposite direction.  A bit of everything... Harleys (the biggest percentage), a Goldwing, some sport bikes, several ADV-type bikes (no scooters); and they all waved.

"Why do motorcyclists wave to each other?" you ask.  Thanks for asking.  I'm going to say it is a solidarity kind of thing, with each of us happy to be out enjoying the ride.  The "two finger" wave is a way of saying "two wheels" or "keep it two wheels down" or "ride safe."

I know I was happy to be out there... gusty wind and all.


That is a file photo, 'cause I didn't see that much greenery here in the desert.  But, it gives you a feel for what I am talking about.

--------

Back to Steph and Dan's for supper: they made orange chicken and fried rice on their outdoor griddle/grill...


Yes, they made two meals for us today!  Whoohoo!

Plus: the fender I have been waiting for since last July arrived at their house today!  I opened the box - it seems to be the right color (haven't checked it against the bike, yet).  Almost everything is there.  Almost?  Yes, there are supposed to be 4 rubber washers needed for the install... there is only one.  If the dealer in Peoria doesn't have those, we'll punt with something from Ace Hardware.  Yes, the invoice shows 4 (four) washers.  So close.


4 comments:

Earl49 said...

I have always believed that the wave asks, "Are you having fun?" My wave back is an enthusiastic "Yes". If I don't get a wave back I always take it as, "I'm having too much fun at the moment to take my hand off the grip. Have a good ride".

Sunny but 42° and very windy here today. The cats enjoy being indoors on their warm, dry beds for napping. We tried putting the jacket and leash on Duke and walking him around the back yard twice yesterday. He is fascinated by the outdoors but goes from totally mellow to chainsaw mode in about two seconds. Once he exceeds his excitement or anxiety threshold, there is no turning back. We know that he was a stray when brought in to the shelter, but we have no idea for how long or how hard his outdoor life was. He is extremely food insecure, even though we feed him several times a day.

Better weather is coming for more yard adventures this week. We hope that letting him burn off some energy outdoors will help his attitude. He seems like a fidgety fifth grader that cannot have recess right now.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl - yeah, I wave 'cause I'm happy to be riding. Some days, I'm happy to be.

I don't know if cats ever get over being food insecure. Little Izzy was so petite, but she ate like a wolf pack. We know she was kept in a cage with a much bigger cat when we first saw her, so she probably had to get as much as she could, as fast as she could. We fed her 4 times a day, small portions for her tiny body. We do the same with Rufus: 4 meals each day, plus a couple treats. Rufus gets the same amount of food that Izzy got... and he is twice her size (well, weight). He is very stable weight-wise, and is always grateful for his meals (he will often beller a big "Thank You!" after a meal), but doesn't seem insecure about food. He is a good eater, but doesn't wolf it down.

We started the walking on a leash thing with him right away. Some days we walk a ways, some days it might be the length of the RV site. I let him set the pace and distance, but I steer him (as much as you can "herd" a cat). He seems to look forward to going outside, even if it is just to sit on the patio.

Visiting with Steph and Dan this evening, their youngest cat wanted to be friends with the female (oldest and alpha) right away, but it took her almost a year to warm up to him. The two males bonded immediately. They are all good together now... hope your kitty situation comes together faster than that.

BiloxiBeau said...

hi Jim,

is Dan still doing the comic illustrations? I recall that he was pretty talented-----enjoyed seeing Joan and Captain Jim as characters in a comic strip. now we need to see Rufus transformed as well.

cbrat Bob

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Bob - Dan's daily job is graphic design. The work demand is such that there isn't time for "fun projects" like the Captain Jim comic strips. Sometimes that's the way it goes: you do something for the fun of it, people notice, a demand is created, and it becomes your job. We are happy for, and proud of, our son-in-law... I'll have to get more Rufus photos posted... because he is a good boy. ;-)