Tuesday, March 8, 2022

It's a blue bike thing...

 

The CTX I looked at last week was red - I thought the red was really sharp.  The CTX we looked at yesterday is a dark blue - and to my eye, it is even better looking.  Of course, I admit some bias, as this is pretty close to the Blu Energia color of my Vespa.  It wasn't like I was looking for a specific color.  This bike was about $1,000 less than the price of the one at the dealer, and that is before the dealer added on over $1,500 in "fees."  Plus, this blue one has another $1,000 in accessories, including a custom Corbin seat that isn't broken in, yet.  And, this blue one has fewer miles.

Yes, I made an offer on it, the seller accepted the offer, and we went to pick it up today; a couple photos after I took it for a test ride...



The style of the bike is "low slung" - it almost looks small with me standing next to it.  A few more shots in the seller's driveway...


With the paperwork done and money exchanged, we headed for home.  I put my Airpod earbuds in and Joan and I stayed connected by phone.  My test ride was around the neighborhood heading back to the motorhome, it was mostly highway.  For me, the Dual Clutch Transmission is the big "feature" of this bike.  It has a couple modes to select from (Sport Mode is pretty much the way I would shift this bike if it didn't have the DCT), as well as a Manual Mode that uses paddle shifters (like a Formula 1 race car).  This is SO much more than an "automatic."  In looking at videos on Honda's DCT, the thing that gets said all the time: "This shifts better and faster than you can."  Yep.  I tried it in Drive, Sport, and Manual - each of those modes serves a function.  You feel the shift, but it happens faster than than you could pull in the clutch lever and move from gear to gear with your left foot.  It also downshifts as you slow down - just like a good rider would.  Way different from the CVT transmission on a scooter.

I have seen/heard some people say the CTX is like "a big scooter."  Nope, it is all motorcycle, with Honda's exclusive technology at work.  That said, it takes some getting used to.  One thing I haven't had since we switched to scooters 9 years ago: a beefy exhaust note.  Nothing like the "loud pipes save lives" noise, just a good, low sound.

The seller had the stock seat on it, after I struggled with the backrest on the Corbin seat yesterday (just couldn't get my leg over/around that backrest).  It is comfortable, with just the right amount of cushion.  After getting the bike home, I swapped out seats to try out that Corbin seat...



It is certainly more substantial than the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) seat.  It sits the rider up just a bit more (I can still flat foot the bike), and is wider at the front of the seat... using muscles in my upper thigh that haven't been used in a while.  The part of the seat that makes contact with the rider is all leather; the sides and that strip across the middle are made from a sturdy vinyl that won't break down.  And, in this seat, the vinyl is black with a snake-skin pattern.  It did not look good in the seller's photos, but is quite sharp in person.


There is a rider's backrest made for the seat, but it is removed in these photos; I don't think it is something I will use, but I may try it sometime when my hip gets more comfortable with the bike.

A view from the front, showing the Givi windshield (same brand I have on the Vespa)...


Initial thoughts: I like it.  A lot.  It has been 9 years since I've had a motorcycle (to be fair, a scooter is a motorcycle, but the form factor is different).  It has plenty of power and good road manners.  I ran it up to 75 mph on the highway - there was plenty more to be had, and it felt solid and stable.  I'm looking forward to getting it out where we can find some curves to run it through.  The seating position is a bit more "feet forward" than I've had before, bit it seems comfortable.  Another thing I haven't felt since we switched to scoots: breeze on my lower legs.  Not bad, just different.

After taking it out for another ride, I came home and have started going through the owners manual - I learned how to set the clock and reset the trip odometer.  I already knew how to use the transmission modes after a lot of hours of watching DCT review videos.  More to learn, though.


No comments: