Friday, April 8, 2022

Canceling ads...

 

I spent much of the evening last night canceling "For Sale" ads for the Vespa.  Some of those were on the forums where I have been pretty active.  People were nice, most saying, "I hope you'll stick around..." - sure, I've made some friends on those forums.  I also said, "I am still a scooter guy."

One person on the Vespa forum said, "Not being negative, but, are you really a 'scooter guy' if you don't have a scooter?"  Well, I still have my name on the title as the co-owner of the Xmax, and it is one very nice, kick-ass scooter.  Beyond that, riding a scooter is an attitude... you have nothing to prove to anyone and you are riding a bike that is a blast to ride, while still having a practical side to it.  That kind of describes this CTX.  And certainly describes my attitude about riding.

Years ago, when we took delivery on the C-Dory, I described that boat as "a powercruiser with a sailing sensibility."  The CTX, to me, is a motorcycle with a scooting sensibility.  A lot of people bought that bike to be a commuter: it gets good mileage, is comfortable, and the DCT transmission makes it easy in traffic.  The motorcycle guy side of me says, "Yeah to all of that, but it has great torque and just feels good going down the road."  Back when we had Harleys and Goldwings, we still called them "the scoots."  It's a sensibility.

This morning, I woke up and didn't have my own scooter, for the first time in over nine years.  The Vespas made me smile every time I rode them.  This CTX makes me smile, too.  Yeah, I'm OK with moving on, but still "a scooter guy."


4 comments:

Earl49 said...

Congrats on the sale! That is always a good day.

That is such a nice portrait of a very handsome Rufus. Speaking of handsome lads, it is time to put on Duke's vest and leash to walk around the backyard. Today is the last day of Aloha Camp. Alice has been having great fun, calling almost every night. She comes home Monday night, and I think we are all going to make it. Duke will be sooooo pleased.... ;-)

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Earl. I am so glad to hear you are on the home stretch with the cat wrangling, with your skin intact; been thinking about you and the kitties this week.

Also good to hear that Alice has been enjoying her time in paradise. I'm thinking Duke won't be the only one pleased to see her again. Best wishes to all 4 of you!

Earl49 said...

This morning we had another "cat battery" incident. I locked the screen door on Lucy's room and laid down for a nap with Duke in his room. But she was actually outside. When she flapped in later, Duke darted out much quicker than I could move and attacked her again. No real damage and she calmed down quickly. But he just doesn't seem to "get it" - this is Lucy's house first and he can live here, but he has to be nice to her. Sigh....

Alice gets home Monday evening. Maybe Duke will calm some more when mommy is home.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Sounds like it is more about the posturing, Earl. Now that I think about it, it sounds like most relationships: it is the female's house first, the male can live there, but he has to be nice to her. Just kidding. Probably. :-O