Thursday, April 28, 2022

Is she pregnant?

 

I was once told: unless you see a baby coming out of a woman, do not ever ask if she is pregnant.

Rufus and I were out for a walk early last evening.  A couple in a golf cart slowed down as they got close to us - I assumed they were going to comment about Rufus.  The guy said, "What a beautiful kitty!"

"Thank you," I said.

"Is she pregnant?" he asked.

I laughed and said, "Well, no, because he is a male.  A large male."

"Oh," the guy said, "I thought it was a female because it is such a pretty cat."

I said, "We tell him that he is ruggedly handsome.  He is beefy, but the vet says he isn't overweight; he is a large breed."

"Yes, he is a very handsome boy."

That was a first.  Well, not the first time that someone thought Rufus was a girl, but certainly the first time anyone asked if he was pregnant.  ;-)

He went for a nice walk.  I am especially vigilant right now, as it is sand-burr season.  They start as little yellow flowers and then turn into those nasty burrs.  I have to closely look over any grassy area before letting Rufus get close to it.  We both enjoyed our walk.


No comments: