Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Who Let The Dogs Out...

 

If you said, "The Baja Men, 2000," you get 12 bonus points.  If you said, "The people in the 5th wheel next to you," you are correct, but no bonus points.

I usually take Rufus for a walk before and/or after my morning bicycle ride.  He wasn't ready to go out before, so I got my ride in.  When I got back, as I was putting my bike away, a woman with a large German Shepard came walking into our site... the dog put his face at our screen door.  She said, "Is this your dog?  It seems to want to come here."

"No, that isn't my dog, and you need to get it away from my door - there's a cat inside!"

Apparently, she found the dog wandering around.  I had seen it near the dog run when I was riding, with no one around it.  I assumed it belonged to someone in the run.

Ruf was on high alert when I went in.  I said, "Maybe we'll wait a bit before we go for our walk."

When I did take him out, we got to the back of our motorhome when the neighbors next door let their dogs out... they have a short fence set up around their patio, but one of their dogs is big enough to hop right over that.  Of course, the dogs went off, barking like crazy.  That put a quick end to our walk.

The pull-through area where we are is snug - rigs are much closer together than the rest of the resort.  This area is supposed to be for short stays, but we have been banished here because of having a cargo trailer.  This part of the park is now about half empty.  There should be plenty of room to have an empty site or two between each rig, but they put people in the sites immediately on either side of us...


Cropping in on this photo, you can see the spindly "fence"...


Walking back to our motorhome the dog was barking like crazy and knocked down the fence.  So, that's fun.  And now we know the answer to the question the Baja Men asked.

And for a bit more perspective, here's the row of sites behind us...


 And the row in front of us...

... where they are spaced out.  The guy to the right of us said he reserved for a different site, but when he got here (two days ago), they moved him to this site... he said, "I don't know why they changed my site - there are plenty of sites available.  Why do they stack us so close?"

I said, "Well, I know why I am being punished: my cargo trailer.  I guess they're just using you as part of that punishment."  ;-)  I'm sure it is a coincidence.  Really.

--------

I went to Mark's house again today (kind of our Wednesday thing), where we made some music with a couple of his friends.  It was my turn to bring lunch - Joan suggested BBQ and that seemed like a good Texas thing to me; it went over well.

When I got back from Mark's, Joan said that Rufus was ready for a walk.  Those two got to spend the day together, but Joan doesn't walk him.  After the sun went down, Ruf and I went out.  Towards the end of our block, there was a lady walking an Australian Shepard... Rufus was interested.  The dog, Duke, was interested, but tentative.  The lady said the dog had never been around a cat; I said, "Well, this would be a good one to start, because he is dog friendly, as long as the dog isn't aggressive."

Rufus walked right up to the dog and got nose to nose with him.  The lady was almost giddy - "Oh my goodness, your cat is adorable!  And you walking him on a leash - that's adorable."

I said, "Yeah, that's what we're going for - that whole adorable thing."  The lady and I visited for a while - she had more than a few cat questions.  When it was time, I wished her and Duke and nice evening, and Ruf and I continued our walk.  There was a couple sitting outside the semi-truck motorhome (gorgeous rig) watching the Rufus and Duke meeting go down... the guy said to me, "My money was on the cat if things didn't go well - he walked up to that dog with authority."

I had to chuckle - Rufus is just the sweetest boy.  Certainly not aggressive, even though some people have said he looks "intimidating" (I don't see that).  He does have a certain swagger to him when he is walking.  But, I'd go with "adorable."  ;-)


No comments: