Friday, April 15, 2022

Wind Tunnel Testing...

 

No, I don't have a wind tunnel that we carry with us.  But, I do have two major highways in close proximity where I can run a bike up to speed.  With the windshield extension installed, I made a swag* decision on placement and adjustment... there are a lot of possible adjustments you can make, with essentially 6 "joints.

I geared up and took the bike for a speed run, about 6 miles, two different directions, using my hand to determine the wind flow.  This windshield extension makes a real difference.  Back at the motorhome, I swapped helmets (the Schuberth is a bit "slipperier" than the Nolan), made one very minor adjustment in the extension and made the same run again.

I think I have it set where it is the most effective for me...


 The extension is about the same thickness as the windshield and seems to be optically distortion-free.  It is kind of hard to see in that photo above, but it is forward and just above where those black brackets are. 

Reading some reviews on it, a couple people said it felt cheap, a couple more said it came off while they were riding.  The brackets are plastic, but when all the joints are locked down, it seems very sturdy and I have no complaints on the quality.  I did run the bike up to 80 mph on each run, and the extension held fine, never flexed.  It does a good job of directing the air just over the top of my helmet, reducing noise and any buffeting from the wind.  Just what I was hoping for.

I am calling this project complete.

Today feels like Saturday, so I guess we get a bonus day for this holiday weekend.  We met Steph and Dan for a later than usual breakfast out at the Italian place that has become our Saturday thing.  Later than usual because they had to take their youngest cat to the vet to have his teeth cleaned.  They have to knock him out to do that, so Steph was a bit stressed, knowing there can be complications from that.  We are all expecting things to be just fine.

After breakfast, Joan and Steph dropped me at the motorhome (allowing me time to get that "test run" above) and do a bit more work on the cargo trailer.  They went grocery shopping... so, we have a meal plan for the next several days.

As of now, we are planning a Tuesday departure.  It is supposed to be upper 90s, so early will be better... plenty of stuff to get done before we head out.  On the bright side, when Joan got back from the store, we spent some time looking at a calendar to plan out our summer outing.  This is as late as we've stayed in AZ, and the daily high temps are creeping up... at least you get a fresh start each morning this time of year - it was in the low 50s when we got up this morning.  I guess we are acclimating - "Hey, it up to 20% humidity," this morning.  Another anticipated shock to the system when we get back to the humid Tropical Tip... we have our heads in it.


*  swag = Scientific Wild-Ass Guess

--------

Together with Steph and Dan again this afternoon.  Their youngest boy had a tough day at the vet: it turned out to be more than a teeth cleaning; he had to have teeth pulled.  He is still a big groggy from the anesthesia and it obviously hurting.  I feel for the little guy.  They are keeping him "unstimulated" and he isn't allowed to have any food until tomorrow.

In the meantime, Dan and I made smashburgers, Joan did crinkle fries in the air fryer.  Comfort food.  I am really enjoying making things on the griddle - I think it is going to give us plenty of new options when we get back home.


No comments: