Friday, January 13, 2023

Robust...

 

That's the way Joan describes the flavor of the coffee she likes.  But, this is about our furry boy... the shots he got at the vet yesterday left him less than his usual robust self.  When he jumps into my lap, it is with gusto.  When it head-butts me, it is a solid hit.  When he is ready for a meal, he lets you know it with firm meow.  When he is done with his meal, he comes to thank me with a "bellow."  It makes me smile.

Within a couple hours of the shots, all he wanted to do was just lay quietly.  He moved slowly (as opposed to his confident stride).  He had to be encouraged to eat.

Yes, we expect this after shots - we feel the same way after the vaccination boosters.  Last night, I had to pick him up to put him on the bed.  He felt warm to the touch.  I did check on him a couple times during the night... he was sleeping solid.

This morning, he was still moving slow, but ready to eat when I put his breakfast down.  Instead of an enthusiastic roar after the meal, he laid on the floor by my feet as I went about the rest of the morning routine.  When Joan got up, he hopped up on the couch to lay by her - that's more his usual self.  We didn't do a walk this morning, because it is chilly and windy.  After his morning "Momma treat" (Joan gets him something when she makes our smoothies), he sat by my feet.  Usually, he jumps up on his own; Joan picked him up and put him in my lap.  No solid head bump, but he laid his head on my chest.  And purred.

I gave him some neck rubs (his favorite) and got the "grunts" along with the purrs.  Yeah, he is feeling better.  He hopped up to the top of the chair on his own and snuggled behind my neck...


 He is not 100%, but he is feeling better.


2 comments:

Earl49 said...

Glad to hear it. We can’t explain to them why we do this (for their own good). All of our kitties have been lethargic after their annual shots, but are back to normal in 24 hours. We need to get both of them in for regular check-ups but our cats-only vet is SO backed up.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl. Yeah, I feel bad for my furry boy when something we do for him makes him feel bad. He is back to his normal self again. A cat-only vet would be nice; heck, a steady vet would be nice... since Dr Julie left a few years ago, we see someone different every time. On our visit last year, the guy acted like he was afraid of Rufus. This young lady was very hands-on, checking his belly, muscle structure, teeth, and ears. And complimenting him on his "thick, silky fur," and his non-fussy demeanor. Because... he's a good boy. ;-)