Monday, January 30, 2023

Timing...

 

I've often said, "It's all about the timing."  Yesterday, right after leaving Van Horn, we drove into the Mountain Time Zone.  That was part of why we were off the road reasonably early.  Rufus has a very accurate internal clock, and at 11:04 am, he let me know it was time for his noon meal.  I told him that we are in a different time zone and he said, "My belly says it is time.  No zone.  Time to feed Rufus."  The boy has a point.

For the rest of us in the family, it wasn't much of an adjustment.  We were both tired, so we were in bed earlier than usual.  No need to set an alarm clock, thanks to the 6:37 freight train that passes close enough that I could hit it with a rock.  Kidding, of course, we're retired - we don't set an alarm clock.  And I had been up for almost 2 minutes when the train shook the ground we are on.  Joan said (from the bedroom), "Ha-ha, train - we're already awake!"  Rufus didn't say anything, he was rubbing around my ankles because getting him fed is the first thing I do when I get up... it's his happy dance.

The other timing for today: with the only TV channels being a couple Public TV offerings (I wasn't in the mood for cartoons), I didn't get my usual Today Show start.  As an alternative, Joan turned on Today Show Radio on Serius/XM - I often listen to that when I'm driving in the morning.

We are not in a hurry to hit the road this morning - only 100 miles or so to get to the RV park in Tucson, where we'll spend a couple nights, and you can't check in until 2:00.  Leisurely showers and breakfast are in the plans.

--------

An easy day today.  With 100 miles to go, and 3 hours before check-in time at the next RV park, we had time to burn.  We lollygagged along at about 60 mph and made a lunch stop for Rufus at a Rest Area.  I like this Rest Area because it is located at the scenic Texas Canyon in Arizona...



Our stop for the next two nights is in Tucson.  Lazy Days KOA is a nice park - it should be for the price.  Paved streets, gravel sites, a nice paved patio, and some landscaping.  Rufus was excited to find his very own bush on our site...

"Dad, do you know how many dogs have peed on this bush?"  Apparently, that is a drawing card for any tree or bush.  The rest of the site...


We walked around a bit.  This park has all the amenities you'd expect in an upscale RV resort.  Ruf is not a fan of the "upscale" gravel, which is bigger than what most Arizona, New Mexico, and west Texas RV parks have.  He doesn't like the "crunch" noise it makes when I walk on it.  But, the streets are paved and long (it's a good size park), so there is plenty of walking opportunities here.

Rufus got to take a nap while Joan and I hit up a Fry's grocery store... and then another short walk when we got back.

The desert air is doing a number on my sinuses - ranging from sneezing and flowing, to dry and scratchy.  Just the start of life in the desert.

We'll take the day off the road tomorrow; may do some running around and lunch out... living large!

--------

One last bit of "timing" - two days ago, we were in west Texas; today, they had freezing rain, cold, and wind.  Sure glad we got through there before that blew in.



No comments: