Friday, January 6, 2023

Scooter Boy...

 

 "You got another scooter?"  No, but thanks for asking.  I have my name on the title as a co-owner of a perfectly good scooter.  Yes, I'm talking about Joan's Xmax.  I am impressed with that scoot every time I ride it.  And today, I took it out for a ride.

Another beautiful day here in the Tropical Tip (but, the wind is supposed to come up this afternoon).  Good time for a ride this morning; didn't need a jacket, just the armored shirt.

A motorcycle (or scooter) is a personal ride.  I understand why Joan picked this one: it does everything well, and it fits her.  Fit is important on a bike.  The Xmax is comfortable when I'm riding it, but I am on the balls of feet at a stop.  Anyone who has ridden will tell you that you don't need to have both feet flat at a stop... there are plenty of short legged riders with tall bikes.  My last motorcycle before getting those first scooters was a Suzuki V-Strom, a tall bike for my 30" inseam.  I didn't have any issue with it at a stop, but as my hip deteriorated, I had more of a struggle getting a leg over that bike.  I was ready to be done riding rather than getting on the bike like you would a horse.  Those first scooters completely solved that issue.

With the "cut out" on her scoot (where the gas tank would be on most motorcycles), it is easy to get my leg over.  After riding my CTX (with a lower seat height), I notice immediately that "ball of the feet" stance that is necessary on the Xmax.  Joan's legs are longer than mine, so she doesn't have that issue.  My torso is longer than hers, so I sit taller above the seat than she does.  That puts me more in the windstream coming over and around her windshield.  She has her bike set up for her, so it is most comfortable.

If I had an Xmax, I would need to do some upholstery/shaping work on the seat.  And add a windshield extension; maybe a wider windshield, since I feel the wind on my shoulders.  What's that?  Yes, some wind on you is part of the riding experience - but you can direct it to be less tiring while riding at speed.  We each have our own bike set for our individual comfort.

Each bike likes to be ridden differently.  I enjoy riding hers once in a while, but mine is a much better fit for me.  I do like that rear brake lever on the left grip on her bike; mine has the traditional right foot brake, with no lever on the left grip (thanks to the dual clutch transmission).

Joan still hasn't ridden my CTX.  Knowing what she likes in a bike, I am pretty sure she wouldn't care for it... it is heavier, more foot forward, and you feel the engine pulses (270º crank).  She has no experience with the dual clutch transmission, and there is a learning curve to getting the best performance out of that.  For the record, she was not a fan of the riding position on the Vespa, and that bike fit me nicely.  We both liked the fit and feel of the PCXes.

We are each happy with our choice.


(file photo)

--------

This was on Facebook today...


Whippersnappers.


2 comments:

Earl49 said...

Intro: We're a 60's band. We don't play any music from the 1960's. We are all older than age 60.

Both of my current guitar students are coming over at 4:00 today and we'll have a directed jam session / lesson. Should be interesting... These guys are ~30 and ~35 give or take, so most of my music is older than they are. One likes heavy metal and the other likes current Bro Country. The big challenge will be finding something that we all know, and want to play.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl - not only is my song list older than they are, I am older than both of them put together. As I recall, Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) made a country album - you might check that to see if you can find some common ground. ;-)

Reminds me of the "jam session" Joan talked me into... wasn't really a jam session, but 3 old timey country guys... "We play both kinds of music: country and western." (rimshot)

Have fun with your jam session/lesson! Let me know how it goes.