Monday, January 9, 2023

Slip in/Slip on...

 

"Is that 'wax on, wax off'?" you ask.  No.  But, thanks for asking.  This post is about shopping for shoes.  And, no, this is not becoming a fashion blog... one look at me should make that very clear.

I have fat feet.  No they aren't swollen, just wide.  When I was a kid and shopping for shoes, the salesperson would measure my feet, then say, "Let's try an 8."  My toes measured out at a 6, but they knew I'd never squeeze my fat foot into that size, so they went a size or two larger.  It wasn't until I started working at Sears at age 16 and learned how to use a Brannock device - yes, that the foot measuring thing you step on...


 All those years of wearing boots that were too long.  How much too long?  Well, the toes would curl up like elf shoes.  It seemed like no one carried wide shoes for kids... so, the salesperson would bring out a longer size to accommodate the width.  Which also meant that the arch was never in the right place.  I think I was 18 before I got a pair of boots (yes, I used to always wear boots: engineer boots, harness boots, work boots) that were the right size in length and width.

Fast forward to today, and I know what size I wear... it would be nice if manufacturers made shoes in standard sizes.  For the last decade or so, I have been wearing SAS Shoes because they make my size, that size truly fits me.  Their styles aren't always the most stylish... I have learned that fit is more important than style.

A couple years ago, I got a pair of Kyzik shoes - they make "slip in" shoes, designed to be hands-free thanks to a heel design that that collapses then pops back up behind your heel.  It is a smart design for those of us of a certain age with an achy back - you don't have to bend over to tie anything.  And, to get back to the whole fat-foot thing, it has been rare that I've ever found a slip-on shoe that fits.  The sole on those Kyziks has gotten thin enough that I was feeling the need to replace them.

Over the past month, I've ordered and returned 3 pair of Kyziks.  They were wide widths, but just didn't fit right.  The other day, Joan suggested I try some Sketchers shoes.  I had a couple pair of those right after I got the new hip - they were wide and soft on my feet.  Not great support, but I could "wiggle" my foot into them without bending over.  After that, the step-in Kyziks were an improvement.  Well, it seems that Sketchers now makes some of their shoes with that step-in heel design.

So, while we were out and about yesterday, we stopped in the Sketchers store in Brownsville.  They had a lot of shoes in wide widths.  We were able to find two (both the same style, just different colors) that were wide and had the step-in heel.  And, they fit.  While we were at it, I found an extra-wide casual pair of slip ons (not slip-ins) that were comfortable, too.  Yes, two pair of shoes in one stop.  And a bonus at the cash register: buy one, get the second pair for half off.  And did I mention: they fit.  Kind of a big deal for this guy with Fred Flintstone feet.

Next time we cross paths, I expect that you won't stare at my feet.  Don't point and say things like: "Dude, I have some snow-shoes that might fit those fat feet."  That's just rude.

;-)


No comments: