Tuesday, January 31, 2023

The Whole truth...

 

No, I was not on the witness stand.  Still no indictments or convictions, and I wasn't even there that day.  You can't prove nuthin'!  Um... sorry, I got carried away.

With today being an off-the-road day, Joan had two requests: take her out for lunch, and she wanted to go to a Whole Foods.  Neither of us have ever been in a Whole Foods; I had a preconceived idea of what it would be like.  Joan wanted to go in one and look around - she has been very careful in shopping for ingredients for me, being diligent in finding things that have no sugar and avoiding white flour.  If it was up to me, I could live on stuff made with sugar and white flour.  And bacon.  But, I digress.


Joan was pretty wide-eyed as we looked around.  I don't think she found as much sugar-free and no-white-flour stuff as she imagined, but it was enough to keep her interested.  I walked around quietly, so as not to "spoil the experience" for her.  But, really: jerky made from stuff that isn't meat, cheese made from stuff that isn't dairy, and kelp chips.  Kelp?  Kelp is a brown algae type of seaweed.  There is nothing in that sentence that sounds appetizing.  There wasn't a DingDong, Ho-Ho, or Twinkie to be found in there.  Pizza made from almond flour and toppings that looked like someone dumped a petri dish from a 7th grade science project that was left in school over Christmas break on it.

In the words of every 12 year old who sees their parents smooching: "Ew!"

But, I didn't make any gagging noises or suggest that we needed to "keep a move on"... although when it was over, Joan agreed with me that she should visit one of these again, without me along.  She did get a few things, and we are no longer Whole Foods virgins.

From there, it was out for lunch.  Options were weighed, and in the end, reason overcame healthy eating and we went to Oregano's (pizza and pasta).  I got pizza, she got pasta and a salad.  Before we even went in, I said, "I will be skipping the cheese-bread appetizer and the Pizza Cookie dessert," just to show that I am making an effort.  Although the people a couple tables down from us did get a Pizza Cookie; I tried to distract Joan enough so that I could slip away and join those people for dessert, but she was on to me.

One more stop before going back to the RV park: Walmart.  Where you can buy real food that isn't made from non-food ingredients.

Back to the motorhome, I took Rufus for a short walk; and while Joan went to work on baking something healthy for me, I walked to the RV dealer next door (Lazy Days RV Sales).  "Next door" is a bit of a misnomer - it took me 20 minutes of brisk walking to get to the Sales Part of Lazy Days.  They have a motorhome that has a toy-hauler garage, and I just wanted to check it out.  The sales lady took me in a golf cart to that motorhome (it really is a big dealership) and opened up the motorhome for me.  Decent looking full body paint, but it felt really cheap inside.  A definite no-go for me.  It would be nice to have a conveyance that has a "garage" for the bikes and still able to tow our Equinox without double-towing.  But, this isn't the answer.  Yes, there is the option of a toy-hauler trailer or 5th wheel, but that would require another diesel truck to haul... and you can't use your amenities while going down the road like in a motorhome.  We have been there.  We both like what we have, I was just looking at "options."

The sales lady gave me a ride back to our motorhome in her golf cart (very nice of her); it was a pretty quiet day for her, I'm guessing, as she seemed happy to have someone to talk to.  When I came back inside our rig, I saw someone else who was happy about the stop at Whole Foods...


He's a good boy.

And, the baking results...

Smells good, still cooling.



No comments: