Monday, January 2, 2023

A slice of island life...

 

We saw on Facebook this morning that there is "an issue" at our bridge.  Apparently, it is "stuck in the open position" meaning cars can't get on or off the island.  The word we are getting is it may be hours before repairs can be done.

So, if you just came from the grocery store with a selection of ice cream in your bags... better start eating before it is all liquid.  If you are on the island and have a doctor appointment this morning... you aren't going to make it.  If you put off using the public restroom at Walmart before coming home... oh, shit.  If you were just wanting to go for a motorcycle ride... it is going to be a short one, unless you're into doing laps (at 15 mph) of the 6 to 7 miles of roads on our island.

I already got my bicycle ride in for the morning; good thing I didn't ride off the island because I don't take any ID or money in my pocket when I ride.

Apparently there are people who have been in line at the bridge with their cars for quite a while.  No, we don't get advance notice if it is a mechanical failure.  And, no, this isn't a frequent thing.  The bridge opens many times during the day, to allow boat traffic to pass through on the Intracoastal Waterway.  Recreational vessels can get an opening on the hours weekdays; anytime on demand on weekends and holidays.  Commercial boats can get an opening anytime on demand (by calling the bridge on the VHF radio).

(file photo)


--------

This afternoon, Rufus on my lap...


This is not meant to be a portrait, showing what we look like.  Joan likes it when Ruf looks adoringly at me... he does that a lot.  It makes my heart happy.



No comments: