Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Life's a Beach...

 

Alternate title: Be Stills My Heart.

I sometimes talk about riding by the beach... but you don't really see the beach.  When we go into Isla Blanca Beach Park, there is a gorgeous boardwalk that runs along the beach.  But, when I am riding my motorcycle, it is usually along Gulf Blvd, which is the road closest to the beach.  This morning while out for a ride, I decided to show that there really is a beach here.  In fact, the best beach in Texas.

I brought along my Insta360 One X2 camera; this is the camera I use most often for the 360 videos I post.  It also does still photos.  To be more specific, it does 360 still photos... meaning: if I choose to export it that way, it would be a photo that you can scroll around to see the view from every direction.  Most often, though, I pick the view and export the image as a regular photo... and that was my plan for today.

It's been a while since I did a photo essay post.  Getting ready to roll..


 This camera is like most action cams in that it utilizes a wide angle lens, sometimes distorting the view from the way your eyes see it.  The trade off is being able to decide what angle you want to see after you press the shutter release.

Crossing the swing bridge off our island...



Both of those images above are from the same exposure - that is the magic of shooting 360 images.

Onto the causeway, and crossing the Laguna Madre...


Three shots from the same image...




I have mentioned this recently, but I am trying to be fully absorbed with the views of the Laguna as I cross the causeway.  This is what I will miss most about living here.





Onto SPI...


I will take a moment here to talk about "processing images."  It seems that a lot of people think "Photoshop" is a bad thing, that it is used to distort reality... make someone look slimmer... make skin look smoother... change a background.  Yes, it can be used for all that, but I generally use Photoshop on every image you see here in this blog; not to change things, but to crop and enhance the color and contrast... it's the same thing "the lab" did for you when processing your photos back when you used to shoot film.  Just for a change of pace today: every image here is straight out of the camera, with the addition of using the 360 aspect of it to change the point of view.

Riding along Gulf Blvd...



The image directly above shows the bike lane (to the right) that I have mentioned here before.  It is for walking, jogging, and bicycling only.  On more than one occasion, I have seen cars driving in that lane... because people are stupid.

On the far side of the buildings you see along Gulf Blvd is the beach and the Gulf of Mexico.  With the exception of the previously mentioned Isla Blanca Park, there is development (houses and condos) all along the beach.  You really can't see the beach or the Gulf from Gulf Blvd, other than the occasional glimpse between buildings.  There are beach access areas every block or two, where you can park and have immediate access to the beach.  If you drive north of the town of South Padre Island, you get away from any development and can drive on the beach, if you choose.  So, in this area, you have options for how you do the beach.

I stopped in one of the beach access areas, parked, and got off the bike to show a bit of the beach here...


Several different views from the same image once again...



It's a good walking beach close to the water; much softer when you get above the usual tide line.





No, I didn't walk the beach today - I was geared up with motorcycle pants and boots.  Another day before we head out of here.

Back on the bike and my require pass by my favorite Whaling Wall..










Then after more riding around, back across the causeway and the Laguna...






Back into Port Isabel, and past the Lighthouse...




Back onto our island, then home...



Another gorgeous day, and the holiday crowds and traffic have moved on.




No comments: