Thursday, May 25, 2023

She seems nice...

 

There was some kind of outage with the internet and cable TV last night.  Spectrum is our provider.  It was out for several hours from before 6:00 to after 8:00.  Joan pulled up her Spectrum app on her phone (Verizon/Visible is still working), which gave us some "background noise"... Joan and I visited for a while.  She seems nice.

Yes, I've used that joke before; still makes me laugh.

I went out for a walk.  Several neighbors were doing the same.  One neighbor pulled up alongside me in her golf cart.  I said, "How are you this evening?"

She said, "No TV - I'm bored."  We had a nice visit.  Kinda reminded me of the "olden days" before everyone was glued to a TV, a computer, or their phone.

--------

Remember the famous line from the movie The Sixth Sense?

"I see dead people."  If you said that, and got the year right, 1999, you get 15 bonus points.  If you said, "The kid is Haley Joel Osment," you get an additional 10 bonus points.

This isn't that.  But, a similar thought... "I see summer people."  Other than neighbors who live here year 'round out walking last night, it was really quiet.  All that will change this weekend.  The holiday weekend will bring thousands of people to the coast; it is going to be a warm weekend inland, so it will be cooler at the beach.  School will be out.  People who rent their places out to winter Texans will be back for the summer.  Any other rentals will be occupied.

I heard from a guy who is on the City Council on SPI - he told me that condo/hotel/motel occupancy for this summer is running behind what is expected.  I'm hearing how more Americans will be out traveling this summer, so I am wondering if people are just making reservations later this year.  Looking at the weekend traffic the last month, it sure looks plenty busy to me.  And that weekend crowd will magically turn into everyday crowd all through the summer.

We'll see how this plays out.

--------

Done deal...

We did our part of the closing paperwork at the title company this morning.  The buyers did their part from Minnesota.  The deed will get registered tomorrow.

I expected to feel some emotion, but this process is almost anti-climatic for us, since we won't actually move out of the house for a few months.  The buyers plan to move in after the first of the year, so we'll rent from them for the near term.

Steph and Dan closed and moved out of their house, so it was more succinct for them.  Changes all around.

Back home, we're sitting out on our deck, enjoying this beautiful morning.

2 comments:

Earl49 said...

I've used the same joke too. There have been times when business travel (her or me or both) had us rarely seeing each other for weeks.

Congrats on closing the deal. It will ease the transition by renting until they take ownership. (I did something similar with the airplane. The deal was done with earnest money and a contract. He brought the rest of the funds after he retired four months later and cashed in his unused leave days. Then we filed the bill of sale with the FAA. It was up to me to keep the engine exercised by flying it until March. Too bad we had a month-long winter inversion that winter and I was fogged in for most of the period. That kept me from getting over 1,000 hours of time-in-type).

When is your PHX homes expected to be done and ready for occupancy? Inquiring minds want to know...

Lucy had dental work on Tuesday morning. She was rather distressed at being locked inside overnight and kept from food after 10 pm. Then she felt pretty bad for another 24 hours until the drugs flushed out. She is outside enjoying a wonderful 78° sunny day now, and her cat flap is back open. Happy girl!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl - The estimated completion date on the Phoenix house is mid-December... +/- 45 days. That's quite a time spread. When we leave TX, we'll have the motorhome as our residence, so we can stay flexible.

Sorry to hear about Lucy needing dental work. That's a tough situation with having a forced fast, then getting knocked out to get the work done. Give her a gentle neck rub from us.

As far as the "she seems nice" joke, Joan and I worked together for decades in the studio, then more of the same on the "fun summer jobs." Forced closeness when living on the boat. There are a lot of couples that couldn't survive that much togetherness... it's what we know. That's not to say we don't each need some "me time" once in a while.