Tuesday, May 2, 2023

The Differences...

 

Bike content coming up.  For those of you who just look in here to read about Rufus, here you go...


I got out on Joan' Xmax today.  I know I have compared the two bikes here in the past, but each time I ride it, it drives home how very different they are (between the Xmax and my CTX).  The Xmax is a sporty scooter; good power to weight ratio, nimble handling, and fun to ride.  My CTX: good handling, good power to weight ratio, and fun to ride.  Well, that kind of sounds about the same, doesn't it?  That's the thing with scoots and motorcycles: they should be fun to ride.  And if it isn't fun, why would you do it?

Oh, sure, some people will tell you that they are more economical than a car.  And for going from here to there, that is true.  But, if you need to take stuff with you, or bring a couple people along, the two-wheel conveyance loses out.  I don't have to tell you about the difference when the weather turns to crap; too hot, too cold, or anything falling from the sky.

That said, there are so many different kinds of bikes: off road, adventure, commuter, cruiser, crotch-rocket... most people would be hard pressed to give you reasons why bikes (and I put scooters in that category) are practical.  But, those of us who ride do it because it is fun.  If it stops being fun, that is when a bike becomes a "garage queen."

Joan's Xmax and my CTX are both powered two-wheel conveyances.  Hers is lighter, sits taller, has smaller wheels, and has great native storage (that under-seat storage area is impressively large).  Mine weighs more, has more horsepower, sits lower, and only has nearly the same storage because of an after-market trunk on the back.  The Xmax gets its power to the rear wheel via a CVT transmission (Continuously Variable Transmission); it doesn't have gears in the traditional sense - the CVT is always trying to keep the bike at the right amount of power to the rear wheel.  My CTX has gears, but you shift them with the Dual Clutch Transmission... some people call it an "automatic" transmission, and it is, but not in the same sense as a typical car transmission.  This uses a computer to determine when to shift (instead of a torque converter like most car transmissions), and is programmable to make it more sporty or to go for the best fuel mileage.  You feel each shift on my CTX; you don't feel it on the CTV transmission on the scoot.  I can up or down shift manually, as the situation warrants; you can't do that on a scooter.

Both bikes have a tube frame, with body work over that.  The CTX is a bike you throw a leg over; the Xmax has a lower portion in front of the seat that you can put your foot over.  The CTX has a twin cylinder engine that sits in the frame, with the cylinders canted forward about 60º; the Xmax is a single cylinder engine with the engine and CVT sitting on the swing arm.  Both engines are relatively smooth, with the CTX having a 270º crank that gives the "throb" of the engine some character.

The CTX is a motorcycle - it just comes equipped with that DCT transmission that allows you to "twist and go."  Or shift manually (up or down).  The Xmax is a scooter (which is another category of motorcycle in most states); also a "twist and go," but you don't get any choice with a gear, whether for better acceleration or engine braking.

There are some (OK, a bunch) in the riding community that think a scooter is "less of a motorcycle"... that it doesn't take the same skill/knowledge to operate.  Both of these will take you to illegal speeds, if you choose.  The Xmax will get better fuel mileage doing it.  The CTX has bigger, wider wheels and tires, giving you a bigger contact patch where "the rubber meets the road."

One isn't better than the other.  They are more alike than they are different.  I got sold on the whole scooter premise when my hip got to the point that I couldn't throw a leg over the motorcycle I had at the time.  Smaller, lighter, and easier to mount scooters kept me riding.  Truly, I enjoy riding both of these bikes... but, the CTX is a better fit for me.  Just like the Xmax is a better fit for Joan.  Ergonomics and weight matter.


Yeah, that's a file photo above.  The CTX looks bigger, because... it is.  Weighs 100 pounds more, longer wheelbase, bigger engine (by more than twice the displacement).  I look taller than Joan because I am closer to the camera - I'm about 3" taller.  She is "sleeker"... it's that displacement thing again.  ;-)

 

4 comments:

Earl49 said...

Always good to see Rufus content (and being content, which he almost always is -- he's a good boy). The riding content is good too. I used to describe my Gold Wing as an Acura with really bad climate control. You almost make me want to get back into riding again...

I'm heading for NV and AZ in the morning. I'll be in the PHX area on Sunday evening and all day Monday. Monday will involve the MIM and hopefully meeting up with Kramster for some picking that evening. I've asked him to bring along a Sable if he still has one. [foreshadowing?]

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Earl. Yes, Rufus is a good boy. (drink) Riding is therapy, enjoyment, and lowers my blood pressure. I could give up a lot of things, but riding and playing guitar won't be including in that. This CTX just makes me smile every time I throw a leg over it. I will say that it isn't for everyone, and that includes former riders... this morning, our neighbor across the street called me with "bad news"... her gentleman friend was in a motorcycle accident... seems he swerved while on a group ride way west of here, and ran off the road. The bike flipped several times. He is beat up pretty bad, but no broken bones or busted up internal organs. It makes you think.

Enjoy your time in NV and AZ. Tell Kramster I said, "Hi." And, "foreshadowing" about a Sable... yeah, that's a nice guitar. If I were to add a McPherson, it would likely be the Touring; I'm enjoying smaller guitars these days. I wish McPherson would mold in the arm bevels like Emerald, but that may not be easy for the way they build. They do make some very nice guitars. I tried one while we were out in Phoenix, but the timing wasn't right (more of a need to thin rather than add).

Oh, one more advantage for Phoenix: a nice variety of guitar shops! Travel safe.

PNW GUY said...

Great post and I can relate to everything you are saying about riding. The weather is finally starting to cooperate and some more extensive rides are on my radar. My wife and I get out on our e-bikes and ride together when possible, but my NC750X DCT is my escape. Since I obtained in September, I have about 2K miles on it. Each mile I love it more. The DCT is seamless and smooth, and the low center of gravity makes the twisties so much fun. Getting about 70MPG so far - not bad for a 750CC bike. Still need to get my rear carrier but the "frunk" gives me plenty of storage for now. I have plans to circle the Olympic Peninsula this summer, and a few rides around Mt. Rainier. A couple of buddies want me to ride with them over to Grand Coulee Dam and then over the North Cascades Highway and then possibly continue to the San Juans. I will say hello to the Orcas for you. Once I get me rear carrier with backrest, my wife wants to take some rides with me. Congrats on your upcoming move to AZ. Greg

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Greg - Nice to hear from you! Delighted to hear the NC750X is working out for you; it's a great bike! You have some great riding there - I have good memories of the fun roads we took our scoots on, both in the San Juans and on the mainland. We especially enjoyed riding around the Olympic Peninsula and the ride up to Hurricane Ridge; and out to the coast from Forks to get photos of the sea stacks.

I get my Orca enjoyment by riding past the Wyland Whaling Wall frequently. Since we sold the boat, the only time I see the dolphins here is on occasion when we're crossing the bridge off our island.

And speaking of changes ahead: how are your plans for a liveaboard boat coming? You have the best cruising waters there in the PNW.

Keep in touch!