Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Wet T-shirt Contest...

 

Well, to be fair, it wasn't much of a contest.

I was thinking about getting out on the motorcycle - checking weather, Joan said, "It isn't supposed to rain until noon."  Either the weather weasels lied, or she thought she was being funny.

It was mostly sunny as I got ready to roll.  Kinda gray by the time I got off our island.  Cruising across the causeway, the sky opened up.  I am not a fan of riding in the rain.  Oh, the bike can handle it, but it is always a grubby mess when I get home.  Onto SPI, I turned to get off the main drag, picking my way carefully through the deepening puddles at the intersections.

Cruising along Gulf Blvd, it was apparent I wasn't the only one who got surprised by the rain.  Three old guys in white T-shirts.  Wet white T-shirts.  I had to turn my head away.  Still people out and about, in spite of the rain.

I was listening to The Beatles Channel on Sirus/XM, and, of course... "If the rain comes, they run and hide their heads (when the rain comes)..."  Yeah, the song Rain, by the Beatles.  Ten bonus points if you saw that coming before you read this.

On the bright side, it wasn't cold or windy.  Just wet.  Since I was able to keep moving, it was only from the knees down that I was getting wet; that wind-tunnel designed fairing does a good job with the air flow.  It was all good until I got back to our island, and... of course, the bridge was out.  The fairing give you no protection when you aren't moving.

Back home, the rain had let up, and I put away my armored mesh shirt and got a cloth to wipe down the bike.  And then it started sprinkling again.  I put the bike in its portable garage, and finished wiping off what I could reach... it's a bit snug in there.  And then the sun came out again.

Joan had a towel for me when I came in... but, other than taking my wet boots off at the door, the only other thing that was wet was my riding jeans, from the knees down.

I sarcastically said to her, "It's not gonna rain until after noon, huh?"  (You have to read that with the voice of an adolescent saying "Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah."

She said, "I was feeling sorry for you before that - now I'm happy about Mother Nature raining down on you."  A sweet sentiment.

No, I didn't take any photos of the old guys in their wet T-shirts.  You're welcome.


No comments: