Thursday, September 28, 2023

It's happening!

 

U-Haul was scheduled to bring the moving pods between 9:00 and 11:00 am... right on time, they pulled up just before 10:00.  In anticipation of their arrival, I got the bikes out of the cargo trailer and we moved the empty trailer to our neighbor's driveway (yes, with his permission).

And then it rained.  This area hasn't seen any rain in nearly 4 months, but as soon as I pulled the bikes out and Joan came to help me push the trailer, down it came.  For about 20 minutes.  It was enough that we needed to towel off when we came inside.  By the time the U-Haul ladies got here, the rain was done.


 

Yes, that made it even more humid.  Next order of business: take the empty cargo trailer to our in-town storage unit and empty that out.  It is amazing how much stuff that cargo trailer will swallow - we got it all in one trip.  That is two different styles of pods: the one on the left is the new style, made of metal; the one on the right is made of wood, with a heavy vinyl cover.

Back home, we got to move all that same stuff again.  It filled about 3/4 of one pod.  I am wondering if we are going to need a third pod to get everything in?  Joan thinks we'll be OK.  U-Haul says two pods will handle the average 2 bedroom household move.  We have only a few furniture items, since we sold the house mostly furnished.  But, we have a lot of stuff... we designed this house with good storage in mind.

With the cargo trailer empty, we moved more boxes out of the house.  During the hottest part of the day.  I don't know why.  Here's where we finished for the day...

The stuff goes back deeper than what you can see in the photo.  There will be more stuff to fill that empty space before we are done.

I had a doctor appointment at 2:30 (just a follow-up after bloodwork), here in town.  While carting boxes, I told Joan, "I will be done moving stuff at 1:30, so I can clean up before going to the doctor.  It's in my contract."  Right on schedule.

I spoke with a Nurse Practitioner at the clinic... she said, "All your numbers look good.  Your Vitamin-D is a bit low, but that's it.  You're in good shape."  I waited for the pause; she didn't say it.

I said, "You didn't say 'for your age'."

She laughed... "How old are you?"

"70 - just like it says on my chart."

She said, "You don't look it - I see people in their 20s and 30s who don't have numbers as good as yours.  Keep doing whatever you're doing."

From there, it was back to the office of the storage unit so I could drop off the key - that account is now closed.  Good timing, because we got a notice last month that their storage rates were going up significantly.

And now, back home.  To sit in air conditioned comfort.  And not move a damn thing.  Until tomorrow.  I'm going to say it: we are ahead of schedule... no doubt, that schedule will change.  Seems like this move has been a long time in the making, but we are in it.



No comments: