Saturday, September 2, 2023

Lost another one...

 

I got a text early this morning from my buddy, Herb - Jimmy Buffett passed away yesterday.  For those who enjoyed beaches, sailing, and a sub-tropical island lifestyle (regardless of where you live), his music resonated with us.

If you never went to a Jimmy Buffett concert, you missed a real event... people dressed in their island finery, shark-fin hats, pickup trucks full of sand with a palm tree, or pickup trucks filled with water (with a liner in the bed)... and parrots galore (his fans are known as parrot-heads).  Pure escapism

His biggest hit was Margaritaville, which turned into an anthem for his fans.  That song peaked at #8 on the charts, but his fans bought his albums and kept the music relevant for nearly 50 years.  Buffett turned the Margaritaville lifestyle into a billion dollar empire that spanned music (albums and concerts), restaurants across the country, books, and real estate.

He was 76.  As we get older, the music artists that provided the "soundtrack to our lives" are passing.  A changing era.


RIP, Jimmy... your music brings joy to a lot of us.  I will play a couple Buffett songs today.

--------

We sat outside under the awning this morning, until the heat drove us inside.  I did bring my X7 out to entertain Joan.  That "couple Buffett songs" turned into about an hour... I guess I knew more of his music than I thought.  I relied on muscle memory... I think I am a bit short on muscle and memory these days, but the songs came flowing out... each one bringing back a memory to go with it.


No comments: