Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Like Costco and Sam's Club...

 

You know we are getting to the nitty-gritty: Joan is going through stuff in our underneath storage.  Today, I was tasked with going through Christmas decorations.  Yep, Christmas in September.  Last year, when we put Christmas decorations away, there was no thought of moving to Arizona.  I put away lights that I took down... in bins... that already had lights from years past in them.  There were blue lights that were now more greenish/teal than blue.  Strands where most of the lights worked.  Strands where most of the lights didn't work.

"Why did you keep all that crap, Jim?"  Thanks for asking, but I don't like your attitude - Santa is a close personal friend of mine, and one phone call from me will put you on the Naughty List.  And you know I am quite an expert on the Naughty List.  But, I digress.  I kept all that crap because we have the room to keep all that crap.  This house is small, but has a ton of storage.  And by "ton," I mean: five metric crap-tons of available storage.

U-Haul will be delivering 2 of their moving pods on Thursday morning.  I am looking at all the boxes we have in the house, stuff in our storage area that needs to go, and a nearly full climate controlled storage unit here in town (not to mention that big storage unit that the motorhome is in currently... but, I just mentioned it).  There is a good chance that there will be more "purging" as we load the moving pods.

But, today, it was Christmas in September for me...

That's just a portion of the stuff.  There is other stuff (like the tree and a big wreath) that we know we are keeping.  Joan went through my "Maybe" pile and eliminated almost all of that... "What do you mean I can't keep 6 plaques from Lighted Boat Parades over the years??"

Probably obvious that one of us is a keeper and the other is a tosser... and even more obvious who is which.

Let me be the first to wish you all a Merry Christmas!  ;-)


2 comments:

Earl49 said...

*Mele Kalikimaka* to you too! That is the Hawaiian version because their alphabet does not have R, S, and T.

When we moved down from Anchorage, we took all of the Christmas decorations to Goodwill and donated them. Eventually Alice wanted a small artificial tree again so she got one with integrated fiber optic lighting. We don't do much holiday decorating around here. There is a string of LED lights across the front porch, but it stays up all year. One year she swapped out the white lights for red & green, but that string died quickly and we put the originals back up.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

a ʻo ʻoe (That's Hawaiian for: "and you")

The last couple years, I've kept our light display off our deck (it reflects on the water in the canal below it) kinda low key. I have sometimes left a rope light on the floor under the railing with white lights after Christmas. But, since we would generally go see Steph and Dan in Feb - April, I would have to put the lights away fairly soon after the holidays.

Who knows - depending on what we do in the yard at the new house, there may a place for some tasteful (as in: not Clark Griswold style) lights.