Monday, September 18, 2023

The Boxer...

 

If you said, "Simon and Garfunkle, 1970, from the album Bridge Over Troubled Water," you get 15 bonus points.  If you asked, "Did you get a dog?" you lose 20 bonus points. 

Yesterday, Joan said to me, "Can I count on you to get one box per day packed up over the next week?"  That was followed up with, "I think we can box up one room per day and be ready to load the pods when they get here."  That was followed by the discussion of having to live around rooms full of boxes until the pods get here.  My music room is packed up.  Oh, there are a few things (like a Bose PA) that won't go into a box, but will get put into a pod with a moving blanket surrounding it.  Other things, like a Bose T4S mixer, Spire Studio (for recording), and a TC Helicon Play Acoustic vocal/guitar pedal joined other gear in a box.  And where did all these microphones and picks come from?  My "music life" has been deposited into boxes.  Seems kinda sad, but I anticipate a "rebirth" in a new music room... if I survive this move.

Figuring I had my "box" AND "one room" done simultaneously, I thought I might be done for the day.  I am so silly.  I was instructed to empty my bedroom drawers.  What?  No, I am not talking about my skivvies.  I was told to put clothes into neat piles on the bed, to be packed into large bags.  Bags??  There was no mention of filling bags after completing a box or a room.  Pretty sure this is some kind of bait & switch or other form of deceptive marketing.  On the bright side, the neat piles I put on the bed are now apparently in one of those bags.  The drawers in the bedroom are pathetically sparse.  Likewise, the music room is mostly full of boxes, with two guitars left out (in their cases) if there is any time to play.


We are making progress.  The music room and the area around the dining table looks like the place is inhabited by horders... the living room is still box-free.  The kitchen cabinets are seriously thinned out.  The entire top of the island in the kitchen is adorned with glassware that is going to need to be padded and packed.  I have no doubt that will happen expeditiously.

The really good news about all this packing: we sold the house mostly furnished.  We will not be schlepping furniture half way across the country.  This is all our personal stuff getting packed.  There is a really nice wood-working work bench in our underneath storage area - that is going with us.  A couple cabinets from my music room.  And the Select Comfort mattress that we bought last winter.  The rest is 20 years of accumulated stuff.  There will be furniture shopping when we get to Arizona.

And what about Rufus?  Thanks for asking about the furry boy.  He is concerned about all the activity happening.  We don't know about his life before we adopted him... I have concerns that he may have been abandoned by a family that moved away.  I have reassured him that "You go where we go, buddy."

Years ago, when we moved from Spearfish to the Tropical Tip, the last three weeks we were in the house, we had sold all the furniture except two camp chairs, a TV tray, a small TV, a shredder, and a Select Comfort mattress on the floor.  Molly (the furry girl who is the subject of the book Cat On A Leash - still available at all your favorite e-book outlets and in paperback from Lulu) looked around at that empty house and asked, "Are we poor?"  She didn't know we had another house waiting for us in Texas, and were about to embark on some extended boat cruising.

Rufus is less concerned about the house stuff... he just wants to be sure that the three of us will stay together.  No man, woman, or cat left behind.

--------

I did get out this morning on my bicycle and the CTX.  It is hot, but it makes up for that by being really humid.  It is currently 89º, the humidity has actually dropped into the upper 60 percent range, making for a "feels like" temperature of 99º.  And the guy who got off the motorcycle was a giant sweatball when he put the bike away.


No comments: