Tuesday, October 31, 2023

A Commitment...

 

Tonight will be our first night in the new house.  We have to be here early tomorrow morning to let workers in: a crew from the home builder will start the process on replacing an exterior door and jam on our side.  Steph has hired a handyman they've used before to install 7 ceiling fans and some kitchen/dining light fixtures.

We loaded up the Equinox with stuff we'd need for overnighting, including Rufus's toys, food, and scratching pads.  Getting to the house, Joan cleaned inside kitchen cabinets and put liners down; then, she was able to start unpacking dishes and glasses.  Rufus enjoyed laying in the crumpled paper that was used to pad the glassware...


 And speaking of my big furry boy: he did a fine job in the car on the way to the house.  He sat on the center console or in Joan's lap, just looking around.  I think he was happy to not be left alone today.  When we got to the house, I walked him around room-to-room to let him get used to the new digs.

While Joan worked on the kitchen, I assembled Rufus's tower.  Seems straight forward, but I wasn't the one who took it apart... it took me a while to figure out how the posts aligned to fit the 3 perches.  He spent a good portion of the morning sitting on the tower - I think he happy to have it back.

Joan suggested I go to the music room and start with the biggest item (the drums) to work on determining a layout.  Easier said than done.  I had to move stuff out of the way - I put all the guitars into the closet, opening up some floor space to assemble the drums.  You might think electronic drums are lighter and faster to set up than regular drums...


I figured the set-up on these would take most of the day.  It has been several months (April) since I took them apart and packed them into their original box.  Everything fits in there like a puzzle...

I worked on getting things set up until close to 1:00, then headed out to visit with the guy from Tuff Shed at their factory here in Phoenix.  My buddy Neil (who I met at the Home Show the day after we got here), showed me what they could do to build us a shed that will keep the roof line as low as possible, but still allow stand up height; something along the lines of this...


... with a more shallow roof pitch than the one pictured above.  I am trying to get something that will allow us the storage we want, but still keep the HOA folks happy.  It can be painted in colors that match the house.  The issue: we have 6' walls around the property, and the HOA wants anything that will show above that 6' level to be approved.  With the shallower roof line, the peak of the shed would be 7'... but it will set back about 30' from the front wall.  I looked at that placement from the sidewalk and the street, and I don't see that 7' would show... until you get across the street and step up onto the sidewalk there.

The Tuff Shed factory is 13 miles away according to the Maps program.  Surface streets are the most direct way; it took about 35 minutes to get there.  Pretty sure I will never get to a point where I am OK with the traffic here.

Speaking of the HOA, we submitted in writing (Steph did a great job writing up the proposal) the proposal for the 24' x 12' pergola we have "on hold" with the landscaper.  That was on Sunday.  I received their acceptance of that this afternoon.  So, we are good to go with the landscaping, pavers, gravel, and turf (and pergola) that is supposed to get underway next Monday.  Fingers crossed.

Joan made supper for us this evening.  Our first "home cooked" meal in the new home.  With all the running back and forth, we have been picking up food along the way.  This was a nice way to start our evening in the new home.  While putting stuff away in the bedroom, Joan did a load of laundry to try out the stack washer/dryer - she declared it "very nice."  Little by little, we are using all the stuff in the house.

Into the evening, we have the TV programmed so we could watch the World Series... bottom of the 8th inning, the Arizona Diamondbacks are behind 11 to 1... I don't see this ending well for for the D-Backs.

We are dog tired.  Except for Rufus - he is cat tired.  With all that was going on, he did not get his usual naps today.  He has turned in early...


That's a yawn, not a scream (above).  And settled back in (below)...


I hope we all sleep good tonight.



No comments: