Monday, October 9, 2023

Crisp...

 

It has been a while since I've had occasion to use that word.  Not talking about bacon, 'cause I like mine chewy.  It has been warm and humid since we got back from the Black Hills.  Just the opposite of that overnight west of Kerrville: comfortably cool when Rufus and I took a couple walks yesterday afternoon and evening.  And very low humidity.  Downright dry.

Overnight here, it got down to 50º.  No way was I going to turn on heat in the motorhome... just as a matter of principle.   I just snuggled deeper into the bed covers.  And slept in until after 6:00, for the first time in weeks.  My mind was not going 100 mph and my back didn't hurt.

Over the next few days, we'll just be making miles.  No decisions to have to make other than the usual driving and where we choose to stay for the night.  For now, we'll appreciate not having to load or move stuff... because we know there will be plenty more of that once we get to Phoenix.

--------

The day's drive:

Out early enough that the shadows were still long...


 We are rolling west, as the shadow from the motorhome shows.  There isn't a lot as you drive across west Texas, so I entertain myself with taking some photos...


The light sandstone that this area is known for (above).  The day went from clear to cloudy...

Road construction in various places along the way...




The Insta360 Go 3 on the dash, reversed...


More clouds, but these are interesting...


The big furry boy on my lap...


For those keeping track: he's a good boy.

When we worked in Grand Teton National Park, the mountains there were named by French trappers, who thought they resembled a woman's breasts (thus: Grand Tetons).  Everytime I go by this terrain feature, I think more along the lines of Le Petite Teton...


Yes, I will probably be an adolescent trapped in a geezer body until the day I die.  Other terrain today...


The opportunity for me to say, "I am the meanest hombre west of the Pecos"...

(Yosemite Sam reference)  Mountains in west Texas...



We climbed to over 4,000 feet elevation today.  And, more construction...


Some blonde chick following me the whole way...


Mountains on the far horizon...


I-10 traffic heading east...

We are down for the night in Van Horn, TX.  The RV site here pales a bit compared to last night's...


I took Ruf for a walk when we got in - he didn't care much for the dirt and gravel here, either.  On the bright side, the wind wasn't howling, so a bad day for the Annual Blowing Dirt Festival here, celebrated Jan1 through Dec 31 each year.  I have other jokes about this area, but I don't want to be offensive.  Kidding, they're jokes... if you're going to live in west Texas, you have to be tough.

We're formulating a plan for tomorrow.  It may mean a longer than usual drive, but we do gain two time zones as we roll west.





No comments: