Saturday, October 28, 2023

Easy...

 

There are a lot of jokes that could be made here, all of them self-deprecating.  Like: "It isn't easy being pretty... and vice versa."

In the grande scheme of things, today was relatively easy.  We didn't have to be at the house at the butt-crack of dawn.  Steph and Dan were there early, to let the painters in - there is a belief that they will finish today... I have my doubts based on the speed they are working and the fact that they haven't started on our side (but that is minor compared to all the painting Steph and Dan were having done).

We got off having to be early.  A stop at the storage unit to fill the back of the Equinox, then heading east.  We didn't get to the house until 9:15 or so.  The people to deal with today: delivery and set up for a washer/dryer...


The delivery guys set them up, leveled them, and tested them.  They are a charcoal color - very pretty for a washer and dryer.  This is on Steph and Dan's side; we have a stack unit and it is already installed.  The same people brought in the TV Steph and Dan bought - the delivery guys can't set it up because the paint is drying on that wall.  I was told it is a 75" TV, but it appears to be the size of a drive-in movie screen.  That's good, because the living area in their great room is huge.

Next up, and right on time: 3 guys from a blinds company.  Steph and Dan picked out a style and color for an electric blind over their 4 glass panel sliding doors to their patio.  When done with that, the guys came to our side to measure for a plantation shutter to go on our exterior door to the south.  Joan dealt with those guys.  They looked at me regarding color and material (poly or wood?) for that shutter... "You're looking at the wrong decision maker here," I said.  Joan got that ordered.

In the meantime, we needed something to put over that glass panel door, so when we went to Lowe's to pick up another ceiling fan and bathroom cabinets that had been ordered, we got one of those paper cellular blinds to use until the shutter comes in.  And some potassium chloride for the water treatment system; two 40 pound bags - the only heavy lifting I had to do today.  A guy from Lowe's loaded that stuff into the Equinox for us; I had help getting that stuff out of the car when we got back to the house.

We were able to leave around 1:00, since Steph and Dan agreed to stay with the painter.  On the way west, we stopped for a bite to eat, picked up another Equinox full (emptying our stuff out of the storage unit... but Steph and Dan have A LOT of stuff in there still) at the storage unit...

 

Then a stop at PetSmart to make sure the big furry boy won't go hungry.  We were back to the motorhome around 3:00.  Nice timing to avoid the traffic.  This beats driving home having to look into the setting sun and get there after dark.  More progress.

--------

How about some scooter content?

No, I haven't had time to ride Joan's Xmax.  Nor much time for my bike recently.  Last night, after taking Rufus for a walk, I saw that some RV neighbors not far from our site had a Vespa sitting outside their motorhome.  I walked over, asked if I could come into their site, and told them I had owned a couple Vespas.  The guy told me he didn't know much about them, but had gotten the bike from a customer of his after the guy's kid ran the Vespa into a boat that was parked on a trailer in the street... when I got close, I could see that the scoot was in pretty rough shape.  The front cowling was pretty mangled, lots of scratches and dents all along one side.  But, I was told it runs and rides good.

It is a GT 200 - a similar body size/shape to the two Vespas I had, but a smaller engine.  They are from Vancouver Island (BC, Canada) and he said they have a lot of fun running around on the Vespa.

"Vancouver Island?  I used to work in the San Juan Island, and we'd take our boat to Vancouver Island for some time off regularly," I told him.  He asked what kind of work I did... "I drove commercial whale watch boats."

He said, "Really?  I have to introduce you to my wife!"  Turns out, she is a whale watch boat captain on the west side of Vancouver Island!

She said, "You got to see Orcas all the time, eh?  Mostly humpbacks and gray whales on the west side."

I said, "But you have some serious water on that side!"  We traded whale watch and passenger antics tales... I could have visited with her all night.  I went over there to talk about the Vespa, but that topic changed right away when that whale watch captain thing came up.  An interesting evening.


No comments: