Thursday, November 15, 2018

From tester to protester...


No, it doesn't mean I am getting paid to test things.  This evening, there was a public hearing for people to express their views regarding the proposed LNG plant/terminals that will go in less than 2 miles from our house, if they get through the permitting process.

I am registered as a protester.  I am not one to stand out there with a picket sign and holler through my bullhorn.  OK, I don't even have a bullhorn.  This means I get a copy (via e-mail) of all the paperwork filed... on both sides of this issue.  And there is a LOT of wordage.  From both sides.

I really didn't know what to expect: the hearing is being held at the Port Isabel Event Center... because of that, I was expecting a crowd.  I would think there are a lot of people who are worked up over the potential issues with LNG plants right next door.  No, this isn't a "not in my neighborhood" kinda thing - a large industrial development right next to a destination vacation/resort area... well, you would think there would be a lot of angry people.  I sure did.  I was wrong.

I got there right as the hearing was getting underway.  There were about 15 people holding badly made (in a hurry?) pro-LNG signs.  On the other side of the street, there were about 30 people, anti-LNG.

(Editor's note: LNG is Liquified Natural Gas.  Natural gas would arrive via pipeline, then be cooled to a liquid state so it can be shipped via large ships.  And for fun, Space-X is building a rocket launch facility several miles south of that.  What could possibly go wrong with this??  Add into the mix, the potential for pollution that would decimate the waters here.  Noise.  Smoke pollution.  Light pollution (all the lights at night around the plant), and the need to CLOSE the Brownsville Ship Channel to any boat traffic when these ships would come and go; if the plants happen, there are expected to be around 10 ships per week.  Bringing boats for shrimping, fishing, and recreation to a standstill when these ships are in.  So much to lose.)

Arriving at the Event Center, one of the local TV stations was filming...


As you can see, not much of a crowd.  I wasn't sure where to go, so I headed to the Event Center itself.  There were a couple police officers nearby, I asked them if the hearing was inside...

"Yes, sir."

I said, "So this stuff going on out here is just a circus?"

They both chuckled, "Yeah, pretty much."

Into the Event Center, there were about 30 people.


Here is an aerial photo, showing where the proposed facilities will be located...


Our home is on the island at the upper right of that image.  Look close, you can see the canals.

I found out there is no "public" hearing - no opportunity to listen to either side provide facts.  Nope, you can give a verbal or written opinion.  Verbal, into a recorder.  You can see how people are lined up to give their opinions...


Maybe the crowds will increase later, since the hearing started at 5:00pm; it goes until 9:00pm.  Into the next room, there are two people with recorders.  I was "speaker #18 - at the rate this is going, they will be able to record maybe 20 people per hour.  So, around 10,000+ population potentially affected (add in another 200,000 for Brownsville if the wind is out of the east), and maybe 80 verbal opinions would be expected.  That is pretty pathetic, considering the possible consequences.

When my number was called, I sat down at the table where there was a guy with two Zoom recorders (like what I use to record music).  I think I was given 5 minutes and I used up all of that - a woman came over to the table with a sign that read "30 seconds", letting me know to stop.  I took those 30 seconds to tell the guy that I was sorry that he had to listen to angry people begging for deep pocket industrial interests to not destroy the local environment.

He said, "It's my job."

Outside, there were a couple speakers on a PA system, telling the pro-LNG people how awful they are...


The pro-LNG people...


The anti-LNG protesters...



I had to work to get people into the photos.  Kinda disheartening.  Still, I will continue to voice my opinion against these LNG plants.

On the bright side, a pretty sky on my way home...


Sure would be a shame if the smoke and pollution from those plants screws up the natural views here.


2 comments:

John said...

For more information on the anti-LNG point of view, visit SAVE RGV from LNG's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/saveRGVfromLNG/ and website at http://www.savergvfromlng.com/?fbclid=IwAR0flnrUwevMR9W969sH9Cc0DctAng-WLkWqhF6GK4LNYLFfYOlRt9dYpoA.

Right now FERC plans to approve Texas LNG 06-13-2019, Annova LNG by 07-18-2019, and Rio Grande LNG by 07-25-2019. But the companies aren't as strong and solid as they pretend to be and if enough people file enough comments opposing them they could go belly up before FERC approves them. Even if one or more survives long enough to get FERC approval, then they still have to meet any requirements FERC attaches to the approvals before they can put shovel to ground. And they also have to come up with enough money to turn on the construction switch.

So far, none of them have the Texas Commission for Environmental Quality air quality permit they also need before they can put shovel to ground. In March 2018, Port Isabel, Laguna Vista, Vecinos Para el Bienestar de la Comunidad Costera, Shrimpers and Fishermen of the RGV, and SAVE RGV requested Contested Hearings to block the Rio Grande LNG TCEQ air quality permit.

We have until 12-03-2018 to submit comments on Rio Grande LNG and until 12-17-2018 to submit comments on Texas LNG. You can make more than one comment on either one.

SAVE RGV has put together Factsheet Bullet Points to help folks file comments against both Rio Grande and Texas LNG. Work's also under way to make it easy to submit your comments. To download the factsheets, go to the SAVE RGV website at http://www.savergvfromlng.com/?fbclid=IwAR0flnrUwevMR9W969sH9Cc0DctAng-WLkWqhF6GK4LNYLFfYOlRt9dYpoA.

Questions?



Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

John, thanks for posting that information. Hopefully, other folks who live here will see your comment and submit comments of their own to help put a stop to this.