Sunday, November 25, 2018

Measuring...


I should have measured before to get an idea of the growth.

What is the matter with you people?  I am talking about Rufus.  The boy keeps growing.  We know Steph and Dan have two big cats, and one small one; one of us thinks Rufus is bigger than their cats.  The other, and I'm not mentioning any names, but I'm the other, doesn't think so.  So, it is time to measure the cats.

Not as easy as you might think.  You can't just say, "Rufus, stand by the door jam so we can mark a line to see how tall you are."  Well, you can say that, but Rufus is a cat, so he isn't going to do that.  Yes, he is a very cool cat, but when you get close to him with a soft tape measure, it looks like the ribbon he plays with... so, now we have wound-up Rufus who wants to play, which makes the process even more challenging.

But, with two intelligent humans, using their superior intellect, it only took us a half hour or so to get some measurements to use as a starting point.


Drawing is not my strong suit.  Here's what we came up with (all measurements approximate):

Height at shoulder: 13"
Body length (from shoulder to tail): 15"
Length overall (nose to tip of tail): 33"
Girth (at widest point of body): 20"
Weight: 15 pounds

We put him on the scale - well, we put me on the scale, then me holding him: 15 pounds difference.  On the bright side, I weighed less than I thought I was going to (I haven't been on a scale in months).  Yes, I am aware that fat weights less than muscle.  Bite me.

Sorry if I seem agitated.  When Joan picked Rufus up to put him on my lap so I could measure his overall length, he struggled.  Someone generally gets sliced when he flails.  I am that someone...


No, it was not intentional.  There goes my career as a leg model.

Digressing.  The bigger of Steph's two big cats (Siberian Forest Cats) is pretty close in dimension and weight to Rufus.  He was noticeably smaller when we got him in February.  I never thought to measure, but he weighed around 11 pounds at that first day at his vet exam.  Of course, his fur was short and thin at that exam, but I'm guessing it isn't 4 pounds of fur.  ;-)

This is his agitated look...


He looks mean; he isn't.  Such a sweet boy!


No comments: