Saturday, November 3, 2018

Testing...


I took the boat out just after sunrise this morning, to do some speed runs to test out the new prop; and to see if the work the dealer did solved our stalling issue.

Nice start to the day...


Slow going in the canals, then heading for the ship channel to try some high speed runs.  Along the way, watching the small bait shrimpers in the early morning light...





Once into the ship channel, I put the coals to it - the new prop digs in more at low speed, giving me more speed for the same RPM.  I like that.  It will only get to 5200RPM at WOT... 5500 to 6000 is normal.  Most of what we do is at lower RPMs so I'll run that by the dealer to make sure we aren't lugging the engine.

Between speed runs (both directions to average the speed to allow for current), I saw a fin to the south side of the channel.  Then, another.  I might as well take a moment to check out my dolphin friends, since I'm here...







OK, back to work: more running at speed - all good.  I pulled the power back to head for home and... the engine stalled.  Oh, shit.  It started up fine; I ran the engine up to 4000RPMs, eased the power back... and it stalled again.  Then, the hesitation in it as I motored back home.

So, more evidence that the motor needs to be fully warmed up for the issue to occur.  It wasn't as bad as it had been before the work that was done, but obviously that was the solution.  We have stuff going on today, so I won't be able to do more running with the boat.  I'll see what goes down when I can get some more time with it.


No comments: