Friday, November 23, 2018

So, I said, "We should swap..."


What?  No, not that.  Scooters.  After all the riding we did this summer in the Black Hills, Joan's PCX has a couple thousand more miles on it than mine... and mine had about 1500 more on it than hers before the summer.

Her scoot will be ready for a new front tire by the time we go to Phoenix this winter - makes sense to run mine for a while.  Of course, that means she will be riding the red PCX instead of the black one.  And now she's going to find out that the red ones are faster.  ;-)

It was a gloriously sunny morning to start the day!  That lasted until 8:00 or so, when fog moved in.  And stayed around.  Fog means wet roads, so we decided to wait until the fog burns off to go to the storage unit and do the scooter swap.

By noon, it was still a solid, low overcast.  We decided to take the scoots to our favorite BBQ place, and while we were having lunch, a bit of sunshine began to peek out.  Off the 38 miles or so to the storage unit.  Back roads almost all the way; Joan on her PCX, me on the Vespa.

When we got to the storage unit, the swap out began...


I put the freshly charged battery back in the red one, while Joan moved all her stuff from the red one to the black one.  These scoots hold a surprising amount of one's stuff.  I put it up on the center stand, hit the start button, and it fired right up... Honda dependability.

The ride home on the same roads - I think there are about 3 curves and no change in elevation the whole way.  I have to say, that after the years of looking over and seeing the Blonde on a black PCX, my eyes kept going to that red.  Yeah, I still think that is a sharp-looking scoot.

We stopped to get the PCX inspected on the way home.  The sign on the service shop said, "Inspections from 9am to 4pm"... it was 4:10 when we stopped there.  I figured it was worth asking, and the guy at the desk said, "Sure, we'll get you right in."

It is getting close to the end of the month, and all the other vehicles have fresh tags... except this red one.

At home, I took a few minutes to clean up the red one (and Joan's face shield) and get the bugs off the Vespa.  She also had taken the seat cover off hers, so I put it on this one...


I have to say, it looks really sharp on the red one!  I did a "humpectomy" on the seat before putting on the cover.  The PCX has a short "back stop" on the seat; after I did the same thing on Joan's scoot, she wanted that backrest to go away on this one.  I put some additional padding in the area where the backrest was and put the Cheeky Seats cover on - good to go.

Pretty solid overcast all the way home, but a bit of sunshine at the end of the day.  It's a start!


No comments: