Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Hawaiian feet...


Not an island unit of measurement.

I have fat feet.  Big feet run in our family.  Not really, that just sounds funny to me.  For many years, I had described my feet as "Fred Flinstone feet."  Finding shoes has always been an issue for me.  Well, shoes that fit.

Someone on my go-to guitar forum mentioned something about a Hawaiian shoe company.  I like Hawaii.  I like shoes that fit.  It is easier to get to Hawaii than to find shoes that fit.  I used to be able to find sandals to fit my fat feet when we would go to Hawaii almost every year for a couple decades.

What?  No, we haven't been to Hawaii in years.  When we lived in the frozen northland, we needed an island getaway to get us through the long winters.  Living in the Tropical Tip, well, that is more of a lateral move.  Digressing.  Again.

Why were you discussing shoes on a guitar forum?  Thread drift... it's a lot like digressing.  So, back to the shoes: I looked at the company they were discussing, Olukai.  Their shoes and sandals were described as being "wider that typical"... but, would they be wide enough.  Only one way to know... no, we're not going to Hawaii... although it has been untypically chilly for much of the past month in the Tropical Tip.  Yeah, Joan ordered me some chukka boots and sandals.  Then, for the fun of it, some "easy to slip into" shoes from Kizik in a wide width.

All three pair arrived today.  I have to admit, I was pretty excited!  Opened the first box with the Olukai boots and sandals and... they didn't fit.  Too narrow; the instep was too tight.  Rats!  I went for the Kizik... yes, you can slip into them easily, thanks to their "special design" heel.  Too tight in the instep, but too wide in the heel.  I have a lot of shoes, most that don't fit well... oh, they seem OK in the store, then when I wear 'em for a while, then pinch my feet, usually in the toe box and instep area.

This is the reason we go to the SAS Factory Store in San Antonio pretty much every time we go through there: they make shoes that fit me.

So, it isn't like I am "shoeless in south Texas," but I would like to have some variety.  Yeah, another first world problem.

But, the 3 pair of shoes went back this afternoon; about 15 minutes after they arrived.  I think the boxes would fit better.  (sigh)


No comments: