Friday, November 9, 2018

The calm...


This morning, before the front blew in...



Flat, calm water.  An hour later, the north wind has moved in - the palm trees are rockin' and the canal no longer looks like a mirror.  I believe we are going to have several "inside days."

-----

Just so you don't think we are "house bound"...  Joan has been happily working on a project, I made some music.  The wind is now blowing 25, gusting to 37.  Sounds like a good time for a scooter outing.  ;-)  Well, it was good for what I had in mind: Joan bought us some fancy ear plugs... we tried them on the boat yesterday, and I didn't notice a big difference.  I wanted to see how these would fit under my helmet - with the wind blowing like it is, I didn't have to get out on the highway to see how the ear plugs do at 55mph - just drive 30mph into the 25mph wind.

I didn't ride long.  The rain associated with this front will be here soon.  Maybe.


2 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

Hi Jim-- Not living or visiting your part of the country ever..

May I ask-- What's the story behind your Canal System you live in?
I know there are many other Canal Systems like yours in FL-- I just no nothing about them..
I'm sure they are Man made-- Had to start some were though..

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi HRB. Yes, "winter" has arrived in the Tropical Tip - it was only 55º when I got up this morning. ;-) Yes, "winter" is relative. These fronts blow in, but only last a few days... and then we will be back to our glorious weather.

The canals are man-made. This island was developed in the 70s and 80s as a destination RV resort with each lot privately owned. Part of the plan for the resort was the canals, allowing a great place to keep a boat. The canals were dug and seawalls put in place as part of the development. It is up to each owner on the canal to build what they want for a dock, within the covenants; some docks are all one level; ours has a lower area for easier boat access. The tidal swings here are generally less than 2', so no floating docks. Some of the canals inter-connect, all exit to the Intracoastal Waterway on the north side of the island. From there, it is easy access to the Laguna Madre (bay) or the Brownsville Ship Channel (also man-made) to the Gulf of Mexico. We bought here because of the canals and a good place to have a boat just steps from our door. There are still some RV lots, but most have permanent homes.