Wednesday, July 17, 2019

And the answer is a resounding "YES!"...


What was the question?  Thanks for asking.  Today is the first day out in the motorhome.  In the grand scheme of things, it is often the most work when RVing: you are still getting last minute stuff loaded, you have to close down the house, and it has been a while since you sat behind the wheel of the rig.

Muscle memory.  We have been RVing for decades.  We got back from Arizona the first week of April, then all the prepping for the hip surgery.  So, a little over 3 months since we were traveling with the motorhome, and 10 days short of 3 months since the "big cut."  Joan had concerns about how I'd be sitting in one position, driving most of the day.

The toughest part of the day was what I mentioned above, getting the last minute stuff done.  The hip is doing OK, my back is sore (again, using muscles I haven't used in a while).  The driving was a non-issue.

And how did Rufus do?  He thanks you for asking... he was not overjoyed about heading out.  I think he misses "his" new chair (the one Joan bought for me, with all the electric push-button adjustments).  Rufus has claimed that, but he does share it with me on occasion.  No, it is way too big to fit in the motorhome.  He did spend plenty of time on laps...


I don't think I have mentioned this before, but... he is such a good boy!

We took the two-lane that goes by our storage unit to head out...


Hardly any traffic.  Plus, it cuts some miles off and lets us avoid the city traffic through the Valley.  Onto Interstate 69, the partially completed corridor between Brownsville and Interstate 37, near Corpus Christi...

 
Bye-bye to the palm trees.  Lots of wind today, sometimes a quartering tailwind, sometimes a crosswind.  We stopped a few times along the way so I could walk around the rig, check tires, look in the trailer, and stretch my legs.  All good.

When we got close to our destination for the night, we stopped to top off the fuel tank - we'll be ready to roll on Friday morning.  At the RV park, the lady checking us in looked out at the motorhome and asked, "Do you have a dog?"

"No, that is Rufus, our cat."  He was on the driver's seat, looking out the side window.

She said, "In all the years I've been working here, I've never seen a cat look out the window like that.  Dogs, all the time, but not a cat.  He is beautiful!"

I complimented her good taste.  ;-)  We finished the paperwork and off to our RV site.  Joan unhooked the CR-V while I was paying for our site, so we were able to park side-by-side in this double wide site.


It is 98º here, and our utilities are on the sunny side of the coach.  I told Joan I wanted to try setting up everything by myself.  She put the windshield cover on (will help with the pounding sun) and kept an eye on me while I did my part.  I was able to get it all done with a minimum of grunting and just a bit of groaning.  The sewer connection is pretty low, so I used a 2 step ladder to support myself while getting back upright.  (Same two step ladder Joan uses to put the windshield cover on.)  From here on, I will accept some help if Joan wants to, but I needed to see if I could do it all myself.  I had already convinced Joan I could do it, so I was sure happy to see that it played out that way.  ;-)

While I am happy to be rolling, I'm looking forward to a day off tomorrow.  I hear someone is taking me out for lunch.  :-)




2 comments:

Bob said...

Glad you three had a good day. Looking forward to some good "on the road" posts. Just thinking that thought makes me hungy - what is for lunch tomorrow?? Bob Jarrard

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Bob. I haven't decided what's for lunch, yet. "You get to decide?" Yes, thanks for asking. Seems that it is someone's birthday today. Odds are pretty good it will involve meat and/or Italian food. ;-)