Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Morning observations (kid edition)...


A glorious morning in the Black Hills; 64º, sunny, low humidity, and a very light breeze.  Perfect for my morning walk.  Even though it is before 8:00, there is activity: people getting their RVs ready to roll, people walking dogs, washing cars, and a couple other walkers.

As I was walking by one RV, there were two young girls getting on bicycles...
Girl 1: "I'm taking my iPad on my bike."
Girl 2: "Why?"
1: "Because it's cool."
2: "I have an iPad, too, but I won't use it on my bike - I don't wanna crash."
1: "I can ride my bike with one hand."
2: "How are you going to use your iPad with one hand?"

We are raising a generation of distracted drivers.

Walking by one travel trailer, I counted 9 bicycles outside.  No one outside, so I have to assume they were all in there.  To be fair, the two adult bicycles had kid carriers on them, so there could be 11 people in that trailer.  I can't even imagine.

As I walked by a motorhome with a large cargo trailer behind it blocking the street, I could see that they were going to load their Smart Car in the trailer.  The guy said to me, "I hope I can clear that garbage can."  (It was on the other side of the street.)

I asked, "Would you like me to spot for you?"

He said, "That would be great - thanks!"

He cleared the garbage can by at least 10 feet.  Spacial awareness.

Back at the motorhome, I sat for a bit, had some water, then went out on the bicycle.  The riding feels good.  I rode by a young boy on a bicycle... he stared for a bit, then said, "I've never seen an old guy on a little bike."  (I'm riding my small folder - I don't think he had seen a folder before.)  Then he said, "My Mom and Dad are too old to ride a bike."  I had no words of wisdom for him, but I felt better when he lumped me into the age category of his parents.

Back home again, and Rufus wanted to go outside.  I'm sitting on the patio writing this while he wanders (on his leash) in the grass.  When he's done with that, he's content to sit in a camp chair and watch the activity pass by.  Me, too.  Until it's time for breakfast.  ;-)


No comments: