Friday, July 12, 2019

I have mentioned...


"Hotter than the Gates of Hell."  Referencing the summer weather here in the Tropical Tip.  Now, to be honest, I have been told to go to those gates (in a manner) many times, but I haven't actually made the trip.  So, for full disclosure, it may not be "hotter than the Gates of Hell" here.  And, I am guessing it is prettier here than Hell.  Again, no first hand knowledge of this... just assuming Hell will not be pleasant, and that would include the views.

It would be funny to go there and find out it is just "balmy."  There are times when the Tropical Tip is, indeed, balmy, but not this time of year.  The poor weather weasels here have very little to talk about regarding the summer weather on the coast... highs 88 to 92º, lows 80 to 81º, hazy sunshine, breezy.  Oh, they sometimes hedge their bets by saying things like "the wind will be out of the southeast at 5 to 35 mph" (really, that covers quite a range) or "mostly sunny with a 10% chance of localized rain."

It was all in that range above yesterday.  While doing my last walk of the day (now up to 3 miles per day, spread over 3 outings), I stopped briefly to grab a photo...


Look balmy?  Yeah, mostly hot and humid.  I guess I am acclimating - it doesn't drain me (much) anymore.

Walking back towards home, I stopped to say "Welcome home" to neighbors David and Susan.  They recently returned from a few weeks in Minnesota.  It was nice to visit with them - we never seem to run out of things to talk about.  They spend plenty of time outside, playing golf and walking their dog Tessa (I posted a photo of Tessa and Rufus together a while back)... it didn't appear that they had any trouble re-acclimating.

This morning, Joan said, "Look!  It is 78º outside!"  I looked at our weather station - yep; I need to go for a walk now!  Mostly psychological, I guess, because 78º with around 80% humidity didn't feel any different from 81º with 80% humidity.  It has been a couple months since I recall seeing temperature below 80º.  Of course, there was some time in the past few months where I couldn't recall my name, either.

I have been keeping an eye on the weather up north.  Rapid City is supposed to have a high today of 89º... but only 41% humidity.  That will feel like "vacation."  ;-)


No comments: