Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Refreshing...


Let me start out this post by saying: I love our home in the Tropical Tip.  It is a true resort area with all kinds of great amenities.  Great access for those who own a boat.  Each lot/home site here is privately owned.  Although I complain about the heat and humidity, I am OK with that.  After all, we are usually out of there during the time it is the hottest (this year being an exception).  Besides the heat, summer bring a whole 'nuther situation: renters who don't give a damn about the resort or its rules.  We have a gated entrance and Security, but there is generally only one or two security people on duty at any given time, and they more for the appearance of security than having the ability to do much.  Not a slam on our security people, just stating it the way I see it.

Hart Ranch (where we are currently staying) is an RV resort - it is a membership/owner park, kinda like a country club.  You own a membership, but you do not own a specific lot.  Your membership entitles you to 21 days per month of an RV site (there are other memberships that include cabins and a motel), and some memberships (ours) allow you to "buy in" the other 9 days.  To keep annual dues down, you pay a small fee per day for the RV lot - this is the fairest way to do it, so that those who use the membership are helping pay for the expenses.  There are plenty of people who come here for day use, to spend the day around the beautiful pool or just visit with friends.  If you don't follow the rules, you will get booted out; there is Security at the entrance and always on patrol.

When we checked in here yesterday, I had to show my membership card and ID.  First time with the ID, and I asked about it.  "Seems that there were some members who were 'sub letting' their RV site during the Sturgis Rally..."  Not allowed according to our by-laws.

Both places are beautiful and kept up by grounds people.  Both have plenty of kids during the summer.  You will never see a 10 year old driving a golf cart at Hart Ranch.  People follow the rules here.  You don't see/hear people driving cars/trucks/golf carts at 3 times the speed limit with the stereo blasting here.  It will get noisier during the Rally (HR is about 40 miles from Sturgis) because there are folks from out of state who own here and want to ride their bikes.  Makes sense.

During the winter, people at our home will be in shorts, out boating, playing golf, and enjoying the generally lovely weather.  People at Hart Ranch will be burning through a lot of propane or electricity trying to stay warm.  ;-)

Another difference that jumps out at me... I like to watch the Today Show in the morning.  Before the Today Show, our NBC affiliate at home has an infomercial and a half hour of Early Today.  Here in the Black Hills, there is an hour of local news; the same two young people as last year.  Now, I understand they have to get their start, but they are just as painful to watch this year as they were last year.  The girl talks about her hair and makeup and the guy tries to make each weather forecast dramatic.  This morning, they were "bantering" about the weather (I put that in quotes, because they don't do it well).  He said, "The humidity is so thick this morning, it is like walking through pudding."  It was 60º with a "feels like" temperature of 62º.  The girl commented on how she had to use extra hair spray because of the humidity.  They are in an air conditioned TV studio.

When I stepped outside to do my morning walk... it was glorious!  A refreshing 63º.  There was a bit of dew on my bicycle seat that was in the shade.  I did not feel at all like I was "walking through pudding."  (Not familiar with that particular meteorological term.)  The few people that were out gave me pleasant "Good morning" much like at home.  I didn't fear for my life from speeding golf carts.  The sun was shining, and I wasn't sweating.  In fact, my sunglasses didn't fog over when I first stepped outside (like they frequently do at home this time of year).  Humidity?  In the words of the late philosopher Joan Rivers: "Bitch, please!"

One other difference I notice: elevation.  We are at sea level at home.  Well, to be more accurate: about 7' above sea level.  We are at 3409' elevation at Hart Ranch.  Yes, I notice a difference.  I have always thought of Hart Ranch as being quite level - I had to use the lowest gear when riding my bike.  I never have to shift gears on the bike at home.

One more thing before I go take on my day: yesterday, I went for a scooter ride.  Some highway speeds, some city riding, some curves.  It was close to 80º, but I could still stand to wear my mesh armored jacket.  The riding is great!  No, we don't have roads like this at home.  Don't get me started about the difference in the way people drive in each place... OK, NASCAR meets Tijuana Taxi vs mid-west polite.  Even the tourists.

Nice to be here.  :-)


No comments: