Friday, July 5, 2019

Birds of a feather...


A few days ago, while walking up and down the street we live on, I saw a guy moving slowly with a walker.  He was being helped into a car - I didn't stop.  Today, while walking past that same house, I saw the same guy with a cane coming down the ramp from his front door... "I've seen you walking by here - I heard you had surgery a while back," he said.

"Yep," I said, "And I see by the racing stripe on your knee that you are sporting a new one.  Mine is the hip."

We visited for a while.  He had his knee done about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and he has been on a cane for two days.  "You are doing well," I told him.  He isn't walking any real distance, yet, but I told him where I live and said, "If you want someone to walk with you, let me know - we don't have to go far or fast, until you feel up to it."

We had the same surgeon, and he has been getting visits from the same two physical therapists that worked with me - I told him that he is in good hands.  I think it helps to have someone who has "been there" to talk with.  No, not people who want to tell you about their "uncle (neighbor, friend, friend of a friend) and how he was up walking/dancing/running two days after surgery."  I gave him encouragement and wished him fast healing before I moved on.


No comments: