Sunday, July 28, 2019

Gotta try it out...


Joan said, "I'm guessing you want to try out your new helmet today?"

"Well, yeah!"  ;-)

The weasels are calling for gusty winds today, so I suggested that we stay on curvy roads... really, no ulterior motives for me.  Most of the roads we like to ride on around here are curvy.

We geared up and headed out.  I started with the helmet as a 3/4, with the chin bar off... comfortable, nice visibility, but I could hear more engine noise than with my other helmet.  Engine noise... on a Vespa... in an area with more Harleys per square mile than any place else on Earth right now.  LOL




We stopped for a moment while I put the chin bar on; two clicks and we're ready to roll again...




We were cruising through the curves, and then...



Yep, a truck with a pickup camper ahead.  Damn RVers...


We went slow for a while, then turned onto Iron Mountain Road...



No center lines, yet, not much traffic.  Good riding.  Until...


A dumbass gathering ahead: the bus driver had come through the single lane tunnel, then parked on the wrong side of the road.  The dumas in the Toyota pickup pulled out without looking and damn near ran head-on into another truck coming around the bus.  It was a stand-off: neither truck was going to give.  The Toyota driver finally figured out that unless he backed up, nobody was going anywhere.  When it was our turn to go through that single lane tunnel, there was a guy on a Harley in front of us... when another dumbass in a pickup decided that he was going to make it a two-lane tunnel!  I guess he didn't understand SINGLE LANE or waiting his turn... just barely enough room to get by him, since we were already more than half way through the tunnel.  No, I didn't get a photo - I was making sure my handlebars didn't scrape the side of the tunnel.  People get stupid when they're on vacation; getting a good close look at the idiot in the on-coming truck, it was very apparent that he wasn't riled up about waiting - he was just oblivious. 

Occasional views of Mt Rushmore through openings in the trees on the other side of the tunnel.


We were stuck behind the Toyota dumbass for a bit, but fortunately he turned into a scenic turnout...


Back to the road...





I suggested we stop in Keystone at the DQ - it isn't just a "Texas stop sign"...


We refreshed ourselves with a new treat with brownies and Oreo bits.  And ice cream.  Yeah, we split it.  Proof that I was along, and wearing my new helmet...


Through Keystone...


The fun twisty back roads back to Hart Ranch...


We put the bikes on the patio to let them cool down before I checked oil and tire pressures, then put them back in their "portable garage."

Some fine riding again today, and enough time with the new helmet to know it is a keeper.


No comments: