Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Decisions...


Social distancing?  Shelter in place?  Just stay the hell away from everything and everybody?

I visited with Mark this morning: "Are we still on for today?"  This would be music for Mark and me, sewing/quilting for Cindy and Joan.

If you said, "The Clash, 1982, Should I Stay Or Should I Go," you get 50 bonus points for being psychic.

Mark said, "Absolutely.  We're all healthy."  We're on.

We stopped at Steph and Dan's place on the way there - Fed Ex dropped off some music equipment I ordered last week.  No time to mess with it, though.

It was raining pretty good on the way there; traffic was slow on the Interstate (always seems to be this year) and running 10mph above the speed limit on the 101.

I carried stuff into their house in the rain, parked close to their garage door.  Joan and Cindy went right to work, Mark was already making music.  He and I started working up a new song that we had discussed last time we were together.  Well, new to us - the song is from 1998: Semisonic's "Closing Time."

After an hour or so of working on it, I went out to check on the ladies - they were set up like dueling pianos in a piano bar...


Getting a closer look at Joan's project in process...


Nothing to show for what Mark and I did today - it was playing, not recording.  I'm sure the ladies feel the same way about their quilting as Mark and I do about making music: it feels good to be doing something productive right now.

It was raining pretty good when we left.  The 101 was thick with traffic (obviously, not everyone is staying home) and slow because of the weather.  Joan visited with Steph on the way home - it sounds like they gave out a LOT more food than they anticipated.  The meals were for anyone 18 and under.  From the long line of cars (especially considering the weather), there is a real need.  I've seen some griping on the internet that people can't get their favorite brand of (whatever)... these folks were grateful to have some food for their kids.  It makes me really think about what life is going to be like if these kids are out of school for an extended time.

It was 49º as we made our way home.  Not a typical March day in Phoenix.  There's a lot of that "not typical" out there right now.


No comments: